Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

radio removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio removal

The desert is cooling down enough(95F) to allow for work in the garage. I want to remove my LR radio/cassette/cd player and install an old but unused Blaunpunkt cd player that has a blue wire that allows for hook-up to rear amplified speakers.

I have tried nail/brads on the two round removal hole on the radio face, but I haven't gotten the radio body to release. Anybody have any first hand wisdom on how to do remove the radio? Any advice on wiring the Blaunpunkt? Will there be alarm issues as well?

Thanks guys,

Old 09-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, not knowing the year/model, I'll ASSume it's like my '97 se7 since you say (2) holes.

since it's not listed in the shop manual, a quick search on the 'net led me to believe it's the same as some bmw's.

So I ground down a small pocket screwdriver until it fit the tiny torx screws.

Unscrew them, it'll release.

luck,greg

Old 09-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what you have since the '97 SE-7 had a CD changer under the passenger seat. No in dash CD player available that I'm aware of.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jigray3
Not sure what you have since the '97 SE-7 had a CD changer under the passenger seat. No in dash CD player available that I'm aware of.

True - I let most of it slide since the main question was how to get it out.

luck,greg

Old 09-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Drifting
Default radio removal

Thanks for the reply regarding torx screws no wonder the nails didn't work. My Disco is a 96 with the cd player on the floor. Perhaps someone has changed out the stereo system to an in dash cd unit and has some advice? Thanks,

Old 09-26-2010, 12:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

its actually a 5 sided allen key. and yes the same as a BMW. and it won't be quite as simple as just hooking up the blue wire to power the amp. The amp requires a common ground low level input signal, so you will need either an amp integration harness (Metra part number 70-1786) or a line level converter that will support amp integration features such as the Scosche SLC4 (that's about the cheapest one I have seen), or you will need to bypass the amp all together. However if there is the possibility that someone has been in there before you may want to hold off until you get back there and see if anything has been altered before you spend any money on these things. There is nothing worse then buying a harness and getting back there to find out the wires have all been hacked up!
I will be happy to answer any questions if you need any help.

Last edited by Rover Chris; 09-26-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Drifting
Default radio replacement

[quote=Rover Chris;200739]its actually a 5 sided allen key. and yes the same as a BMW. and it won't be quite as simple as just hooking up the blue wire to power the amp. The amp requires a common ground low level input signal, so you will need either an amp integration harness (Metra part number 70-1786) or a line level converter that will support amp integration features such as the Scosche SLC4 (that's about the cheapest one I have seen), or you will need to bypass the amp all together. However if there is the possibility that someone has been in there before you may want to hold off until you get back there and see if anything has been altered before you spend any money on these things. There is nothing worse then buying a harness and getting back there to find out the wires have all been hacked up!
I will be happy to answer any questions if you need any help.

reply: Chris, thanks for your offer to help..... I got the radio out and there are ample wires to ponder....where can I get a wiring chart for a '96 Disco?
you may be right about bypassing the amp entirely....I will take a look back at the amp in the back door..am I correct about its location? Mark

Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the amp in the back door is the sub amp. the main amp is located high in the passengers kick panel. I bypassed my amp and am very happy with the sound quality of my alpine radio. unfortunately going that route will cost you the stock subs unless you do some pretty intricate wiring. but to bypass the amp all you need to do is run 4 sets of speaker wire across the back of the glove box and over to the factory amp, then just unplug the amp harness and attach the wires to the output wires of the amp. It is actually pretty easy once you get the wires in place. I can pull the wire colors off the rave manual if you need them.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:40 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
the amp in the back door is the sub amp. the main amp is located high in the passengers kick panel. I bypassed my amp and am very happy with the sound quality of my alpine radio. unfortunately going that route will cost you the stock subs unless you do some pretty intricate wiring. but to bypass the amp all you need to do is run 4 sets of speaker wire across the back of the glove box and over to the factory amp, then just unplug the amp harness and attach the wires to the output wires of the amp. It is actually pretty easy once you get the wires in place. I can pull the wire colors off the rave manual if you need them.
Hi-jack of thread.....Roverchris, do you know of any other way of pulling the stock radio other that the "special tool" that is required according to the RAVE? I have a casette player in my rover and want to replace it with a single CD player I have on hand (Sony EX500 or something like that). I don't want to destroy the old radio in case I trade/sell it and want my radio back. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Drifting

Chris thanks for that tip regarding the bypass and yes I will need those wire colors. Also, I have downloaded the free Disco I service manual but it has no wire diagrams. Where can I get a wiring diagram for a '96? Mark

Quick Reply: radio removal