Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rear-view Mirror Questions- '96

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 05:25 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear-view Mirror Questions- '96

The rear-view mirror on my 1996 Discovery apparently completely fogged over for the previous owner (the mirror surface was ruined). Then, they glued a reflective cardboard type material over the old mirror surface. Now, the cardboard has shriveled up and is not functional. In order to pass state inspection, I need some sort of alternate for the mirror. I am wondering if anyone knows of a place to buy a new mirror (other than a Land Rover dealer), or any other alternative option?

Old 10-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Mudding

Is it a manual or auto dim mirror? The auto dim will be almost $350 at Atlantic British. The Manual is 89 dollars. Rovahfarm has the auto dim at $361 and the manual for $111. You can try dismantlers like Roverland Parts. I think they are out of rear view mirrors. I checked because my auto dim is fogged over, as well. If you have the auto dim, did you search the forum to see if there are any threads concerning switching out the mirror for a manual?

Old 10-13-2012, 05:58 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by dragonhead
Is it a manual or auto dim mirror? The auto dim will be almost $350 at Atlantic British. The Manual is 89 dollars. Rovahfarm has the auto dim at $361 and the manual for $111. You can try dismantlers like Roverland Parts. I think they are out of rear view mirrors. I checked because my auto dim is fogged over, as well. If you have the auto dim, did you search the forum to see if there are any threads concerning switching out the mirror for a manual?
It is an auto dim mirror. I figured that I would have to completely replace the mirror, but wondered if perhaps getting new mirror glass cut would work. I will have to look into that and see if it would work as a cheaper alternative.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Any DI auto dim mirror you buy used is going to be in the same shape as yours, junk.
Go to the junk yard and buy a GM mirror, then go to a glass hop and have it installed.
Just get the manual GM mirror, if you want the map lights and stuff it can be wired up.
That will be your cheapest route.
Also take note if the fluid inside your bad mirror leaks out it WILL eat the dash and stereo and anything else it touches.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a company that reconditions them....I read it once....cant remember where I found that....

Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

fwiw...I bought a used D2 mirror off of ebay for about $50.00.....the mount fits fine, no more goop ......

Old 10-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
fwiw...I bought a used D2 mirror off of ebay for about $50.00.....the mount fits fine, no more goop ......
i did the same thing, required adapting the wiring and tweaking the mount, but fit perfect. the d2 mirrors are also not prone to fail like the d1, and have a compass. they can be had very cheap on ebay, and are a nice upgrade.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The DI mirrors are made by Magna Donelly.
The DII/GM mirrors are made by Gentex.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't about to spend more money on a Rover specific part. I bought a used Gentex mirror with compass & temperature display and modified the mounting so that it would accept the spring clip from the old mirror. I used a benchtop milling machine, but you could do it with a Dremel tool.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Drifting

Was the wiring pretty straightforward to replace a D1 mirror with a D2? I've wanted to do that but wasnt sure of the problems encountered with the different mirrors.

Quick Reply: Rear-view Mirror Questions- '96