Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rebuilt Fuel Pump - Airtex 3240 not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt Fuel Pump - Airtex 3240 not working

I attempted last night to rebuild my failing fuel pump with an Airtex 3240 pump. Everything went together just fine with the exception of the power plug (it fit, but didn't fit perfectly).

I put the rebuilt pump in... and when I turn the ignition switch to on, I hear the pump activate, However it isn't actually... pumping. I have 0 fuel pressure now.

Any ideas?

The only thought I had was that possibly the +/- terminals are switched and it isn't pumping like it should.. but this doesn't seem like a probability.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd start with checking the polarity.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
I'd start with checking the polarity.
Yeah. They don't build much pressure running backwards.

Though, for a pre 1997 disco without advanced evap, I would have bought the full pump assembly for less than $100. Oh wait. I did.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I'll keep my mouth shut.
Good luck.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Mudding

But Spike - you didn't?

Will check polarity tonight. (since I can't source a $100 fuel pump assembly locally I attempted to rebuild since many other have done this with success.. why throw away the entire thing when the failing part can be replaced).

Old 01-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by mattrickman
But Spike - you didn't?

Will check polarity tonight. (since I can't source a $100 fuel pump assembly locally I attempted to rebuild since many other have done this with success.. why throw away the entire thing when the failing part can be replaced).
There is nothing wrong with replacing just the pump. I don't understand these guys that say "you can't just replace the pump'. Like there's some magical relationship between each individial pump and its housing and putting in a new pump will put a curse on the "magic". The engine and housing don't know nor care what pump is in there. But I digress.....

How's your fuel filter? If its been a while I'd pull it off and see if you get fuel pumping with it removed.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Who says you can't? I said I wouldn't. And based on recent threads, the reason is obvious.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Who says you can't? I said I wouldn't. And based on recent threads, the reason is obvious.
Maybe that AirTec is a POS. There are plenty of other pump brands out there.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Rock Crawling

The fuel line on mine popped off after I installed the Airtex. I mean the fuel line inside the pump housing. The hose must be high pressure and the clamps must be for fuel injection systems. Fortunately, after you've taken it out a couple of times it gets easier. ;^)

Old 01-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everything went together just fine with the exception of the power plug (it fit, but didn't fit perfectly).

I have found that with electrical connections, there is no such thing as described above. Usually a poor fit is the first reason for anything electrical not to work.

My early 97 has the hundred dollar complete fuel pump assemly as well. Mine required complete replacement due to the top plastic cracking. But even so, I would go with the complete assembly over rebuilding those.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Fuel Pump - Airtex 3240 not working