Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Removing rear light cluster

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rear light cluster

My 95 disco has a break light out so being lazy trundled off to halfords they changed it and it didnt work, so anyway managed twist myself into position! to look at it and low and behold theyve changed the wrong bulb, the plastic blub holder is stuck solid and I cant shift it. Is it fairly easy to remove the light cluster or is there a nack to loosening the holder? I couldnt even get a grip on it as the rubber seal was in the way.

sorry newbie question, I dont have a haynes yet to help me lol

Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Download the RAVE, it contains lots more and better info than Haynes ever did.

You can find it in a lot of different people's signatures on this site. Good Luck.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Overlanding

ahh brilliant thanks and it tells me how to do it, fingers crossed it is just the bulb after all that

Old 12-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are a few plastic wing nuts, its simple to pull off, in concept, getting your hands in there to unscrew them is another story.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Especiall if you have rear seats. Then it is really fun. Just gotta squirm.

RAVE is in my sig.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:02 AM
Overlanding

Thanks yeah is it easy to remove the seats? was in tescos car park yesterday lying across the back trying to sort it , got some strange looks LOL

Old 12-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a suggestion- I had a light out. And after seeing how much fun it was removing the taillight to replace a bulb(I have the jump seats), I replaced every single bulb while it was out, wether it was bad or not.

I tried removing the rear jump seats to make it easier, but stripped my torx bit trying to. They look easy to take off, just fastned very tight.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Helen20
My 95 disco has a break light out so being lazy trundled off to halfords they changed it and it didnt work, so anyway managed twist myself into position! to look at it and low and behold theyve changed the wrong bulb, the plastic blub holder is stuck solid and I cant shift it. Is it fairly easy to remove the light cluster or is there a nack to loosening the holder? I couldnt even get a grip on it as the rubber seal was in the way.

sorry newbie question, I dont have a haynes yet to help me lol
Just did this last night - except I had a BRAKE light out.

Changing it sucked! The bulb holder can't be removed (at least on my truck) as it is partially under the rubber seal. So, I removed the lower plastic wing nut and retention bar - no sweat. Now the top one is a different story. I fiddled with that damn thing with several pairs of pliers to get it loose. Even when it is loose it is hard to turn with your fingers.

One hint I can give you is to remove the bottom nut first, then, as you loosen the top, push the tail light out. If you try to back off the top nut with the light fully seated it will run into a body bolt and get stuck. Same thing going back in. Start the top nut before you fully seat the light.

Did I mention it sucked?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:07 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by DiscoSux
Just did this last night - except I had a BRAKE light out.

Changing it sucked! The bulb holder can't be removed (at least on my truck) as it is partially under the rubber seal. So, I removed the lower plastic wing nut and retention bar - no sweat. Now the top one is a different story. I fiddled with that damn thing with several pairs of pliers to get it loose. Even when it is loose it is hard to turn with your fingers.

One hint I can give you is to remove the bottom nut first, then, as you loosen the top, push the tail light out. If you try to back off the top nut with the light fully seated it will run into a body bolt and get stuck. Same thing going back in. Start the top nut before you fully seat the light.

Did I mention it sucked?
haha thats great thank you, I will come back and tell you tonight if we managed it as getting dad to help! or if I drove it into the river!

Kenk great suggestion, the only loose bulb cover is the indicator light so think ill do the others while at it.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Three Wheeling

I had a thought last night. I should have put a 10mm nut on the top. It would be much easier to get a wrench on there instead my big, sausage fingers next time.

Quick Reply: Removing rear light cluster