Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

To repair or not to repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM
zee
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To repair or not to repair

Hi folks
i have a decision to make. i have a discovery 98 LSE with 146000 miles on it. i got the bad news from my mechanic this morning that it needs a valve job and head gasket. the engine oil has been disappearing together with some leaks and i saw white smoke coming out of the exhaust so i took it to the shop.

I like this car a lot but its hard for me to justify the repairs considering the mechanic advised against it saying its old and probably not worth the investment in repairs. this is shop i have used for over 5 years so he is some one i trust.

I have searched this forum and see a lot of threads on head gasket replacement so i am pretty sure if i had the time i could probably do it. Problem is i have never done such an extensive car repair nor do i have the proper tools.

So i ask the experts what's your advise in this situation. should i part my ways with it or attempt a job i have never done before. Some additional info, i don't have a lift in my garage, this is my second car so i am not in a bind to get to work, the disco is in pretty good shape, body, paint, seats n all.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Order a head gasket kit and take it apart. Be prepared for the worst. If it was overheated too much liners can slip.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Winching

We can look at this a few different ways. First of all, do yo have any skill when it comes to taking stuff apart?!?! If so, continue reading: Download the RAVE manual which will show you step by step of what you need to do exactly to the tee! Then order your head gasket kit from atlantic british for around $199.99. Take pictures before you take stuff apart so you have references when you go to put it back in. Make sure you buy a good set of sockets, extensions, and screw drivers this way you will have the necessary tools. Also a breaker bar would be good to have.
Keep in mind that if you sell this truck to someone honestly you won't get more than $450 because its a non runner in its current state. Lets say you screw something up beyond repair your only out the price of the head gasket kit + new hoses and the tools you bought. You could probably make that money back on parting it out on forums.
Its ultimately up to you though. I say if its in good shape, do it! Read the threads on here about head gasket repairs and start a new HG thread when you start it.
Good luck.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Mudding

^^That. Lots of photos, ziplock bags, a sharpie. Label everything, makes reassembly a snap. It's really not that daunting, just takes time. There's a lot of guys that have been down that road that can lend advice. Between forums and the manual you got it covered.
the procedure is simple enough. Remove stuff until you can get the heads off. Although, now would be a good time to bail if you're leaning that direction. A rover with a blown HG / bad engine in really clean shape might sell for $600-$1000 depending on all other factors of course.
The choice is up to you.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

With 150k the engine has lots of life left.
I highly doubht it needs a valve job, the valves on these things are hardened and made to be used with all kinds of crap fuel from all around the world.
I assume the truck is paid for, so do you want a car payment again?
Do you want to start all over with another car that you dont know the history of?
I'd have him do the head gaskets and call it good.
$1500 is the going rate for head gaskets at a shop, parts included.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ToddD
^^That. Lots of photos, ziplock bags, a sharpie. Label everything, makes reassembly a snap. It's really not that daunting, just takes time. There's a lot of guys that have been down that road that can lend advice. Between forums and the manual you got it covered.
the procedure is simple enough. Remove stuff until you can get the heads off. Although, now would be a good time to bail if you're leaning that direction. A rover with a blown HG / bad engine in really clean shape might sell for $600-$1000 depending on all other factors of course.
The choice is up to you.
Yes! I knew i forgot to mention something! Label everything with description of where it goes!!!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dumb Question, WHAT COLOR is the LSC? Reason if it is the White Gold there where only 200 built I have one and if any of these will go up it will be the limited production ones. If it is a 50th and marked as such you have another group of people who would want that one for more then the going price of the others.
The LSC was the top of the line in Late 1997 in White Gold, Lightstone Leather there where 200 in that color. The Late 1997/1998 had a 50th Anniversary sticker in the cargo window on a LSC package. NO idea how many done that way. Looks like ALL had the sticker.
My old post since then I have found out that there where only 100 in 1998 with that package on them.
So color and condition should play into your thoughts.
If I had my P38 engine problem which was like yours I would still have bought a rebuilt engine since I like the car.

Last edited by georgep; 06-20-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

So you'd sell a non-running Disco? Good luck with that venture. Unless you know the part value or the scrap value you will be offered less than both and made to think that the head gasket repair is rocket science until you capitulate into giving it away......probably to your mechanics buddy.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:20 AM
zee
4wd Low

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
We can look at this a few different ways. First of all, do yo have any skill when it comes to taking stuff apart?!?! If so, continue reading: Download the RAVE manual which will show you step by step of what you need to do exactly to the tee! Then order your head gasket kit from atlantic british for around $199.99. Take pictures before you take stuff apart so you have references when you go to put it back in. Make sure you buy a good set of sockets, extensions, and screw drivers this way you will have the necessary tools. Also a breaker bar would be good to have.
Keep in mind that if you sell this truck to someone honestly you won't get more than $450 because its a non runner in its current state. Lets say you screw something up beyond repair your only out the price of the head gasket kit + new hoses and the tools you bought. You could probably make that money back on parting it out on forums.
Its ultimately up to you though. I say if its in good shape, do it! Read the threads on here about head gasket repairs and start a new HG thread when you start it.
Good luck.
Thank you, i like your logic behind going for repairs. i am good at taking things apart and i agree its not worth much in its current state. i am leaning towards doing the repairs myself and learning as i go.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 AM
zee
4wd Low

Originally Posted by ToddD
The choice is up to you.
Yes, those are golden rules of taking un familiar things apart. i will do all the above you recommended.

Quick Reply: To repair or not to repair