Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 11:01 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...

Story time:

About 3weeks ago I got into a fight with an armco barrier and my Disco quite an impact. My TJM bumper took all of the blow, and actually folded down around and up underneath into might passenger side wheel well. I was only able to drive home after my dad arrived and I used my winch + snatchblock to unbend the desecrated bumper. After getting home, I was able to see the damage in full...
I ruined my bumper, grille, grille flares, right blinker, right fender, and hood. Worst of all, I really screwed up my right inner wing. Not the best of days, but at least I was okay and the rover was fixable.

Fast forward a week... I almost bought a 99 D1 parts car with everything but wheels for $600 only to find out last minute that the Alpine white on 94-96 D1's was noticeably different thant the Chawton white from the later discos. More disappointment.

Last weekend, with the help of a junkyard search engine, I was able to locate a suitable right fender and hood that were both Alpine white.

This past week at British Boneyards, a Rover specialty shop/salvage yard, I got a new inner wing cut straight out of a old gold '98 D1. I was also able to get all the other parts and clips that had al exploded into smithereens on impact. I also got a local auto paint store to mix up some alpine in aerosol so that I could paint the wing, and the grille/grille flares.

Today, my dad and I cut out the old wing and secured the "new" wing with welds and bolts. Fitting it wing and tapping the saved metal parts back into place really took a lot longer than I it expected to, however It after a lot of shaking and banging it came back together. Thankfully I took pictures of the ancillary component setup before taking it apart, which made refitting them the easiest thing of the day. Ran out of light and energy, but the hood and the new bumper should go on pretty easily tomorrow. Will update with more pics tomorrow when it is all finished.

*side note, the I noticed that gap under the passenger side headlight is larger but this is due to the light not being properly aligned with the other headlight yet. It should even up tomorrow.

Edit. Not sure how to rotate the pictures, they were right side up on my computer. I promise.

Attached Thumbnails Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...-img_2249.jpg   Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...-img_2494.jpeg   Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...-img_8102.jpeg   Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...-img_8296.jpeg   Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...-img_2266.jpg  

Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...-img_2279.jpg   Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...-img_2281.jpg   Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...-img_2289.jpg   Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...-img_2286.jpg   Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...-img_2288.jpg  

Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...-img_2293.jpg   Replacing a crumpled inner wing and more...-img_2294.jpg  

Last edited by NateDiscoDog; 06-18-2016 at 11:04 PM.