Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Replacment Igntion coils ? Upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Replacment Igntion coils ? Upgrade ?

Hello, I would like to know if any one has replaced thier coils to a Coil-by-Plug or just single post coils.

I know that the system is a wasted spark and the wire diagram shows two wires going to each plug.

I want to use a plasma boost or a igntion booster like MSD and for it to work I need all coils to have POS polarity. I could use MSD and get rid of my coils or keep the stock ones but.... I don't want MSD. I am set on this system that uses a plasma igntion instead and all coils must have POS polarity. The stock ones have one NEG side and one POS side.

Sooo I want to get rid of the the dual polarity coils and just want them to be all POS polarity.

So I was thinking of taking two single coils to replace one coil and spiting the ECU wires going to the stock dual post coil and have the split wires go to each single coil. Of course wiring them up correctly to have POS polarity out of each coil. Plus making sure that each Spark wires go to its companion cylinder.

Soo please share your thoughts. I have spent months trying to research this system and its great benefits it brings. I really dont want to sell My Disco for a jeep ...... Pretend I did not say that .. This plasma system works great on a distributor Disco or .... Range rover that has COP ( coil over Plug ) But again I Really don't want to get ride of my Disco ... over this Wasted coil spark system.

If successful ill share every thing I'm doing in great detail with pics and video. Thanks in advance !!!

1997 Land Rover Discovery SE7

Last edited by thearmlesswonder; 06-04-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Left out my info
Old 06-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Aquaplusar SparkAmp X60 is what your looking for, wasted spark ignition. Kinda pricey at $700 bones.

Last edited by ihscouts; 06-04-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Thanks !

Hey thanks ! I have already contacted a company that sells the same units. Aquapulse will not responded to email or phone calls. They smell funny any ways.

I talked to the owner of Blue Phonex. He said he dose not want me to use the wasted system because of many returns and ... They had a land rover disco with one and it would not run right. He said they fail or brake for what ever reason.

What are you thoughts on what I said above about going to individual coils ?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

What do I think? I think your crazy......but the Wright Brothers couldn't sell their plane for over 5 years, nobody saw a purpose for it. With the GEMS ECM it's almost a wash to go individual without tossing it and going with a Mega Squirt. Then you can do whatever you want. As a matter of fact the Mega Squirt and two wide-band O2's would give you enough control over A/F that your engine efficiency will almost exponentially increase. The up rated units handle SFI by reading the knock sensors.

To be brutally honest I just don't drive without planning several trips at once and leave it parked most of the time when I'm not working. I have a four day work week with four days off. I go through maybe 30 gallons a month and I get 18 mpg highway. My insurance is $38 a month through USAA with glass coverage.

You'll have to give me a little more time to look at some schematics/diagrams for COP. It sounds like a lot of tinkering I don't have the time to devote to right now. I will in a week, I'll be in Des Moines with nothing to do at night because there's nothing to do there at night......