Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Riddle me this. Light question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or get sealed LED's for back there.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psykokid
If you need a front fog lamp, i have a spare that came with my truck. Cover postage and it's yours..
Mine are good, thank goodness. I really appreciate the offer.

Originally Posted by tweakrover
You don't need to remove jump seats to change bulbs. There are panels that remove to get to the lights, it is super tight but its doable, may be easier to remove the 2 wing nuts that hold the light assembly in and change them that way.
ok so your saying I can remove the screw and slide out the panel?

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Or get sealed LED's for back there.
How much are those bad boys?

Old 11-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Discolife

ok so your saying I can remove the screw and slide out the panel?
No, unfortunately, you cannot access the tail lamp from anywhere other than the little panel behind the jump seat. I could not at all access the light back there without unbolting the jump seat.

Originally Posted by Discolife
How much are those bad boys?
You can pick up cheapie LED bulbs from the parts store for around $20 that might do the job. The only problem is that the LEDs all face outward, and do not make use of the reflective coating inside the housing. If you want to go the correct route with LEDs (which would look bad ***), have a visit to this website:

www.autolumination.com Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs

The bulbs on this website have LEDs that also face to the side, making use of the reflective housing.

Good luck!

Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AB also had some new LED lights on their latest catalog, I did not really look at it though.

I just looked at the site above and I think they have some great possibilities for both replacement and supplementary lighting:
http://autolumination.com/truck_tail.htm

Even off-road jumbo spots and work lights as well :
http://autolumination.com/drl.htm

And with their lights they claim you can leave them on all day and not run your battery down since they are LED.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 11-20-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The problem I have with LED tail lights is they do not get hot and the tail light lens becomes covered in snow while driving and no one can see you.

If you use LED's in the turn signals they will blink fast because the resistance will be wrong and the system will think you have a burnt out bulb.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
The problem I have with LED tail lights is they do not get hot and the tail light lens becomes covered in snow while driving and no one can see you.
I had this happen with regular bulbs on my Disco one night. It was BAAAD out.

If you use LED's in the turn signals they will blink fast because the resistance will be wrong and the system will think you have a burnt out bulb.
I don't know if our trucks have a stand alone flasher relay, but aftermarket flasher relays flash a regular speed no matter what bulbs you have installed. The problem with that is that you won't know if a light is burnt out. Then again, you likely won't have that problem with LEDs lol!!

Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by tornado_735
I had this happen with regular bulbs on my Disco one night. It was BAAAD out.

I don't know if our trucks have a stand alone flasher relay, but aftermarket flasher relays flash a regular speed no matter what bulbs you have installed. The problem with that is that you won't know if a light is burnt out. Then again, you likely won't have that problem with LEDs lol!!
I have had that happen too, but I turned on my rear fogs and because they are brighter they are also hotter and even though the rest of the tail lamp was covered the middle of the rear fog was still clear.
This was during a 200 mile drive at night during a blizzard, CDL locked in hi range for the whole trip.
It was AWESOME!!!

Good point on the flasher types.
I suppose if someone checked their turns/stop/tail/head lamps every month this would not be a issue with the flasher and they could install the type that works with the LEDs.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have had that happen too, but I turned on my rear fogs and because they are brighter they are also hotter and even though the rest of the tail lamp was covered the middle of the rear fog was still clear.
This was during a 200 mile drive at night during a blizzard, CDL locked in hi range for the whole trip.
It was AWESOME!!!
It's funny Phil..I say "our" trucks, even though I am without Rover at the moment.

I am getting back into them, hopefully early next year. I have a very good friend who has a 1988 Range Rover Classic that I have talked about buying from him...fuel injected 3.5L V8...I'll be even slower than I was in my Discovery!!! LOL!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
You don't need to remove jump seats to change bulbs. There are panels that remove to get to the lights, it is super tight but its doable, may be easier to remove the 2 wing nuts that hold the light assembly in and change them that way.
Thank you sir! Success. The panel did slide out and I was able to see that the PO installed the wrong bulb.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I wanted to post this last night, but I took some Nyquil, and just about passed out sitting at my computer. Spent most of today feeling a little detached from the rest of my body. I'd have felt better if I'd gone to sleep on 5 or 6 shots of tequila. But I digress...

This is a picture I use in my signature on the w-body forum I'm on. The bulbs in the outermost housings are the cheapie LED bulbs I picked up from Vato Zone a couple years ago. I threw them in my Lumina to see how they looked, and liked it. I don't have a problem with the flasher relay, because the middle housing acts as a stop lamp/turn signal combo, whereas the outer housing acts only as a stop lamp.

Anyway, I wanted to post this so it might give you an idea of what the cheap LED bulbs would look like in your rear fog lamp housings. They might go the job ok.

Quick Reply: Riddle me this. Light question