Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rocker shaft oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020 | 07:12 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Rocker shaft oil

Hey guys how much should my rockers be dripping oil? I tried to post video but cant from phone will do it tonight. Back side towards firewall drips but front does not. I've cleaned shaft, arms, and rods.

Old 07-01-2020 | 09:18 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Old 07-01-2020 | 11:50 PM
Camel Trophy

Way more than that, it should be slinging it.......those are bone dry, did you put the pedestals in the same order as removed, front one will have the oil drilling to the rocker shaft. The shaft goes one way only front to back, it will have the main oil port hole aligned with the pedestal and if that isn't right no oil will enter as well as the correct ported pedestal. Do not run the motor again until resolved or at least use assembly lube on a dry start up.

Old 07-02-2020 | 01:23 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the reply. I believe I did. However I didn't notice any oil port hole on the bolt pedestals other than what the bolts ran through. I saw on each end there is an oil port hole on the heads. The front one was clean and the rear was gummed up. I did the heads years ago on it. It's been sitting for some time. I drive it maybe once a week. Anyhow I cleaned them out and ran some copper wire through them to see if there was anything clogging. The front one I could push the wire in a good ways however the back would only go in 6 inches or so. Must take a quick turn? How does the oil flow through these? I placed the shaft with the notch facing up towards the rear (firewall) as my Haynes books told me. Rockers with wear pads or whatever they are called facing outwards on each set. This is my tinker, learn fixer upper. I'm worried now.

My oil Cooler lines have a small leak in them. They are wet but not a very heavy drip wet. (Original lines)

Old 07-02-2020 | 08:37 AM
Camel Trophy

Since it's only four bolts to remove rocker assembly I'd double check your pedestals, there is a drilling through the front one plus the bolt hole. There's only one oil port through the head and it's at the front, the rear doesn't exist, the oil simply runs through the shaft and out through the rockers. The rocker shaft bolts create build up inside the shaft over time. I soaked the shafts and rockers in solvent overnight, blew them out with compressed air. Double check your work. When your satisfied use assembly lube to put everything back together, it's not a necessity but better to be safe than sorry.

Old 07-02-2020 | 11:03 AM
|
Three Wheeling

K very true. If I get time today I'll get it off and post pics

Old 07-02-2020 | 11:15 AM
Camel Trophy

How many miles on the motor? Looks like not over 100k.

Old 07-02-2020 | 11:17 AM
TReK

Absence of oil aside, those rockers are super clean. How recent was the head job?

Old 07-02-2020 | 11:21 AM
Camel Trophy

Walt, I looked at the Rave for pics of what I’m feebly trying to explain and nothing. I only have my motor at tear down with wet rockers.....

Old 07-03-2020 | 10:02 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Sorry I've not taken her apart again yet. Working on other projects. 163k miles and heads were done in 2016. Sorry I didnt record the milage then. I have probably only put 2-3k miles since then. I recently replaced the oil pan gasket. Everything should be well cleaned besides the block. I picked up an oil pressure tester yesterday

Quick Reply: Rocker shaft oil