Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rust. Bad. Thoughts? (Warning, not for the squeamish)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i would just buy a d1 with less rust and swap any new or custom parts onto it from your old truck.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco

If the current condition cannot survive a few stategically placed hammer blows, it will not survive when you need it to.
I have tested the post-sanding stuff with a hammer. How hard do you hit it? I was going less than a nail strike, but firm enough to rattle rust off.

Also, I got a 4.5" angle grinder from HF. It seems to work alright. Ill know more when I try to cut with it.

Last edited by pinkytoe69; 04-04-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I can see you're going to have to do a LOT of cutting welding. However, if it were me I would only do it in the front of the passenger cabin, meaning under the seats and up to the firewall. That should make it safe passengers and an accessible job if you're handy with a welder. I'd leave the back alone as long as the frame is solid. But definitely use a grinder to get to bare steel and rattle can it.

Disclaimer: I watch a lot of fix-er-up car television and have seen this done, but I have never done it myself. If you're like me, I'd take it to a professional, but just for those safety areas.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
Man you guys who never see rust sure do panic!! lol
Haha, yah.

Im from Hawaii and live in Minnesota now. If your car didnt eventually develop something, its because you were borderline maniacal about washing it.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could use this as a really good excuse to buy a MIG welder and learn a new trade. Then again I love tools so I'm always looking for an excuse...

Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
You could use this as a really good excuse to buy a MIG welder and learn a new trade. Then again I love tools so I'm always looking for an excuse...

I thought about it, but its like $300 just for the cheap harbor freight stuff.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...you know what would suck....spending a lot of time on it only to have it continue to deteriorate...everytime i see one of those cheap D1's going I wonder if I made the right decision..for a bunch of reasons. having said that, i love my truck and am glad i did. but short of welding, which is no doubt the best way to handle it, i did my best to permanently fix my rust if there is such a thing. which there isn't. i want my truck to look good for all the time i spend on it.

my process was grind/cut/treat/rust paint/rivet and in some places paint again. i used the kbs rust system and the results are good. thanks for the op to show em again...

Attached Thumbnails Rust. Bad. Thoughts?  (Warning, not for the squeamish)-2011-10-24_07-54-18_354.jpg   Rust. Bad. Thoughts?  (Warning, not for the squeamish)-untitled-0-00-11-06.jpg   Rust. Bad. Thoughts?  (Warning, not for the squeamish)-291.jpg   Rust. Bad. Thoughts?  (Warning, not for the squeamish)-423.jpg  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have repaired two Discos and a Defender that had significant rust damage.

For me to fix that, you'd be looking somewhere in the $2500-$5000 range. I can just about guarantee that when the front wings are removed, there will be significant rust on the side of the bulkhead and the inner fender sheetmetal.

There is a reason I tell folks to look for trucks with the least rust they can find.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ptschram
I have repaired two Discos and a Defender that had significant rust damage.

For me to fix that, you'd be looking somewhere in the $2500-$5000 range. I can just about guarantee that when the front wings are removed, there will be significant rust on the side of the bulkhead and the inner fender sheetmetal.

There is a reason I tell folks to look for trucks with the least rust they can find.
See, now you can easily justify buying a welder. Or a different truck...

Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
...you know what would suck....spending a lot of time on it only to have it continue to deteriorate...everytime i see one of those cheap D1's going I wonder if I made the right decision..for a bunch of reasons. having said that, i love my truck and am glad i did. but short of welding, which is no doubt the best way to handle it, i did my best to permanently fix my rust if there is such a thing. which there isn't. i want my truck to look good for all the time i spend on it.

my process was grind/cut/treat/rust paint/rivet and in some places paint again. i used the kbs rust system and the results are good. thanks for the op to show em again...
Wow, seriously nice work, Slang. The result is something I'd almost cut out good sheet to attain.

Quick Reply: Rust. Bad. Thoughts? (Warning, not for the squeamish)