Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

securing gear in the rear load space

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default securing gear in the rear load space

When you guys have built rear load space storage systems, how have you secured them? Do you just drill holes through the rear floor for mounting hardware? I can't seem to find any good options int the back of my truck. It's a 98 LE with no rear air or jump seats.
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Grab some anchor points from the hardware store. Bolt them to the floor and squirt some silicone around the holes. Done.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Think he means to bolt in some drawers?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then replace mounting hardware with bolts

Old 02-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by TOM R
Think he means to bolt in some drawers?
Yea I want to build a drawer system or shelf system, but might end up with a false floor type thing. I'm just worried about drilling the holes and needing back-plating. Also, where is it safe to drill? I don't want to blast through the gas tank or some pipe or wire or something....

Old 02-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

You should not need much to hold in place weight of gear will do that just a few to keep from bouncing, if you want it to stay in place if you rollover use grade 8 hardware and fender washers to spread the load

The wood drawers guy make are nice but if I were doing this I would prefer something lighter like aluminum drawers are heavy let alone the stuff you put in them plus I like to swim and wood is not to durable after wet

Anyone know of commercial made drawers that fit in aluminum?

Last edited by TOM R; 02-05-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by bearskinrug
Yea I want to build a drawer system or shelf system, but might end up with a false floor type thing. I'm just worried about drilling the holes and needing back-plating. Also, where is it safe to drill? I don't want to blast through the gas tank or some pipe or wire or something....
I have a false floor in my truck. I keep all my spares and tools under it. I have it secured with these.
Lehigh 7111 1/4-Inch by 5-1/4-Inch 160-Pound Stainless Steel Hook-and-Eye Turnbuckle - Amazon.com Lehigh 7111 1/4-Inch by 5-1/4-Inch 160-Pound Stainless Steel Hook-and-Eye Turnbuckle - Amazon.com
One end on the shelf and the other end on some anchor point on the floor. I had to drill, backplate, bolt, and silicone the anchors in place.

As far as where to mount......that can all be determined by looking under your truck. In general though you want to avoid bolting things directly above the fuel tank. Not only is there risk of puncturing the tank when drilling the floor but you also need to get in there to attach a nut and tighten it.

My shelf can be totally removed within a couple minutes with bare hands(or maybe a short screwdriver for leverage when loosening the turnbuckles). I have a real problem permanently bolting something to the floor directly over the only access for the fuel pump. I had to do the cheap bastard fuel pump replacement in Moab and I'm glad nothing was permanently installed over the access panel.

Last edited by fishEH; 02-05-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by fishEH
I have a false floor in my truck. I keep all my spares and tools under it. I have it secured with these.
Lehigh 7111 1/4-Inch by 5-1/4-Inch 160-Pound Stainless Steel Hook-and-Eye Turnbuckle - Amazon.com Lehigh 7111 1/4-Inch by 5-1/4-Inch 160-Pound Stainless Steel Hook-and-Eye Turnbuckle - Amazon.com
One end on the shelf and the other end on some anchor point on the floor. I had to drill, backplate, bolt, and silicone the anchors in place.

As far as where to mount......that can all be determined by looking under your truck. In general though you want to avoid bolting things directly above the fuel tank. Not only is there risk of puncturing the tank when drilling the floor but you also need to get in there to attach a nut and tighten it.

My shelf can be totally removed within a couple minutes with bare hands(or maybe a short screwdriver for leverage when loosening the turnbuckles). I have a real problem permanently bolting something to the floor directly over the only access for the fuel pump. I had to do the cheap bastard fuel pump replacement in Moab and I'm glad nothing was permanently installed over the access panel.
Yea this is what I'm thinking. It just hurts/makes me nervous to drill through the floor, mostly since my truck is so clean to begin with. Are there mounting points for jump seats behind some plastic that I don't know about? If I could use that it would be nice...

Old 02-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Fish got pics of your compartment?

Old 02-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Camel Trophy

The center part doesn't run all the way to the front. There's about 8" in front of the center vertical piece so I can lay axles/driveshaft/cheater bar down there.
Name:  IMAG0968_zpsjbhipvjv.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  100.2 KB

Quick Reply: securing gear in the rear load space