Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Should I buy this? DiscoI fixxer upper.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thanks spike! I'll probably try most of that this weekend You've gotta pull the axles out to do the brake rotors? That sounds like a pain in the ***, oh well it's gotta be done.

I think this will be a good project for me though, I've got plenty of other stuff to drive or work on if I get frustrated with the rover, the main goal is just to get her ready to go by winter time. I just want to take my time and do it right. I think I'll be talking to the matco or snap-on guy soon, I've got a nice set of tools, but some of the bolts on here are huge! I need to find some good places to buy parts too, some of the prices I see are just outrageous, like $93 for a brake line! I own an Aprilia, and I've got a Dodge Stealth twin turbo as my track car, so I'm used to paying high prices for parts but still!

Thanks for the tips everyone I really appreciate it! This seems like a great forum

-Ethan

Old 07-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

www.atlanticbritish.com
www.roversnorth.com
www.roverlandparts.com
www.rovafarm.com
www.autosportsunlimited.com
And dont forget about e-bay and Craig's list.
I scored a $600 (thats the used price, new its $1500) roof rack for $150 off of Craig's list.
Alot of parts can also be had at AutoZone for example.
If you have questions about a part or the best place to get it just ask us.
I think you will find that if you are web savy and dont have to have the part today that the most expensive part to replace is the distributor

Old 07-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Overlanding

awesome thanks again spike! Those prices are looking better to me

That's funny that you mention AutoZone. I work two jobs, one is construction, two is autozone.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:27 AM
4wd Low

I can"t even find exhaust manifolds for less that $350 buy that sucker.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:53 AM
4wd Low

Congrats!! on your new project. i just got a 96 disc a few weeks ago

Old 07-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They are a lot of fun to drive and work on. You will need a special adapter to remove the large locking nut to get to the bearings. You can buy it from Rovers North about 30 bucks, also get the double lip wheel bearing seals for the range rover classic or defender in place of the single lip ones for the Disco, they will keep water out better.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Overlanding

Great info everyone! I love this forum.

My biggest concerns right now are...

1) the carpet on the inside is soaked, the weather strip on the doors is torn up, but I took it to the car wash today and it didn't look like any water got in there... I'm hoping the floor boards are still solid :-/

2) Small coolant leak, looks like it may be coming from the head on the left bank, can't really tell yet. Oil and coolant seem to be clean, no overheating problems that I've noticed.

I've got the morning off work tomorrow so I'm gonna go try and see what else I can find out. I'm just going to have to make a list of everything that needs fixed, then prioritize...

Thanks again everyone!

-Ethan

Old 07-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by EthanS
Great info everyone! I love this forum.

My biggest concerns right now are...

1) the carpet on the inside is soaked, the weather strip on the doors is torn up, but I took it to the car wash today and it didn't look like any water got in there... I'm hoping the floor boards are still solid :-/

2) Small coolant leak, looks like it may be coming from the head on the left bank, can't really tell yet. Oil and coolant seem to be clean, no overheating problems that I've noticed.

I've got the morning off work tomorrow so I'm gonna go try and see what else I can find out. I'm just going to have to make a list of everything that needs fixed, then prioritize...

Thanks again everyone!

-Ethan
Is the coolant leak near the front? Mine was leaking there and it was a connection that goes into the intake manifold. It would run down from there and I thought it was a head gasket at first. Turned out I just had to replace a small length of hose and the clamps. Easy fix.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Check the a/c drain tubes under the truck to see if they are clogged.
They are hard to find, there are 2, one on either side of the trans, look for a nipple with a "X" on the end of it, squeeze them both and see how much water comes out.
The windshield seals are a common leak.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did this on my previous 4runner and may do it on my discoverys cargo area.

Pull up all the carpet. Hurculine entire floor it rocks

Quick Reply: Should I buy this? DiscoI fixxer upper.