Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Should I reset adaptive memory?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I reset adaptive memory?

I posted earlier in the month about my idle issues and was told I could either drive around and wait for it to reset or I could Pay a shop to reset the adaptive memory. I have driven it for about 500 miles and it isnt very much better. Most of the time it idles high(1200-2500). But a lot of times the car idles too low in running gears and just right in park and neutral.

Could adaptive memory be the cause?
Could my spark plugs gaped incorrectly cause this?
Any ideas?

I have no Vacuum leaks that I could find. I tired Carb cleaner and pressurizing the system and looking for bubbles with soapy water.

I have tired a different IAC and TPS. There might of been a small difference but its hard to tell.

I tired new plug wires, It got better after until start up, Then i drove it around the block and it was right back to high idle.

I am getting pretty desperate here. Thank you guys for all your help!!!!

Rhino

Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Three Wheeling

I would like to add, The cheapest place in the bay to have the memory reset is over 100 bucks.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i replaced my IACV, I had to have the adaptive memory reset. I tried logging a couple hundred miles, mixing city and hwy driving with quite a few shut-off and restarts. None of thet worked. Had to have it re-set. Cost me few bucks under 100.

The way its acting,is you're iacv good? When mine went bad, it idled low all the time. Put a new one in, and it idled high, all the time.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's correct. The adaptive memory does not adapt back, because it's in limp Mode.

I tried everything possible.there's no way around it. Only thing that came close was turning the key to the on position and unplugging the big black harness from the ecu. Then after plugging it in and starting it would often idle around 300'rpms and sometimes I had to give it gas to keep t from stalling but it would always revert back to the way it was running before.

Im not saying to try this but if you do try it am couple times and you should see the idle drastically reduce.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Three Wheeling

I just dont want to spend 100 bucks and find out it fixes nothing. That would be a major buzz kill.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by rhino_e28
I just dont want to spend 100 bucks and find out it fixes nothing. That would be a major buzz kill.
How sure are you guys about resetting the adapts?

I cant figure out what would change if all I did was replace the head gaskets..

Old 09-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Three Wheeling

I have a appointment at 3 for the rest. I really hope this works, I don't have any extra money to be spending this month.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Pro Wrench

text me man, I left you my number I may be able to help you save some money.
Or just pm me back.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you guys know how to reset it at home let everyone know please.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Spike555
If you guys know how to reset it at home let everyone know please.
Oh I don't, or at least I dont think I do, all I can say is what I said earlier. I know it sounds stupid but it does "something" IDLE definatly changed for me.

I just called him and let him know, you can rule out anything electrical by unplugging the IACV and seeing if the revs are steady and drop when a/c is on or vehicle is in drive.

However he told me that it drops when he puts it in drive with the IACV plugged in, which means, it has to be. The IACV or the ECU that controlls the IACV,

Quick Reply: Should I reset adaptive memory?