Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   So I bought at D2 rear door... (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/so-i-bought-d2-rear-door-56894/)

pinkytoe69 02-19-2013 12:55 PM

So I bought a D2 rear door...

I thought I had read that the D2 cargo door can drop right in a D1.

Well, 90% of it does, but the lock/latch are different sized, aligned differently, and mounted in a slightly different spot.

Any thoughts about what I could do with it (other than post it on CL and hope)?

I can swap out the wiper, motor, glass/seal, and speaker housing, but I dunno if that would be worth the trouble.

EricTyrrell 02-19-2013 01:14 PM

Switch the locks?

pinkytoe69 02-19-2013 01:33 PM

I would, but the lock systems are completely different and have different mounting points.

Seems like a huge PIA to swap.

greenharoguy 02-19-2013 02:07 PM

Make new mounting points?

hilltoppersx 02-19-2013 02:48 PM

you have two options. weld it in place. buy a d1 door.

pinkytoe69 02-19-2013 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx (Post 379508)
weld it in place.

Haha, I coulda gone to Dweb for that kinda advice!

Seriously though, thats pretty much what I expected...f'ed. At least it was only $50.

Were there any improvements in the glass to make that swap worthwhile?

EricTyrrell 02-19-2013 03:38 PM

I'm sure if you slam it hard enough it'll work itself out :)

binvanna 02-19-2013 04:40 PM

Too bad LR didn't make LHD-specific rear doors for the Discovery. On a LHD car, the driver looks over their right shoulder for a nice view of the spare tire. I guess so they can see it's still there.

On the LR3, they actually swapped the direction the glass dips, but for some inexplicable reason the RHD models were then dipped on the wrong side, and all for no reason since the spare is now mounted underneath. I guess they were just trying to copy the Xterra.

The thing is, even if you rear-mount a spare with a carrier, the hinge still swings the door the wrong way so you either have the spare still on the wrong side (for LHD) or you have to make the carrier swing opposite the door.

hilltoppersx 02-19-2013 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69 (Post 379515)
Haha, I coulda gone to Dweb for that kinda advice!

Seriously though, thats pretty much what I expected...f'ed. At least it was only $50.

Were there any improvements in the glass to make that swap worthwhile?

i totally forgot one more option. you can buy a d2 without a rear door and use the rear door you have to fill the gap

Sam95disco 02-20-2013 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx (Post 379567)
i totally forgot one more option. you can buy a d2 without a rear door and use the rear door you have to fill the gap

Better yet, don't buy parts for a car you don't have.:D