Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Spray paint roof and hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray paint roof and hood

I was thinking of spray painting my 98 disco's roof and hood flat black and was wondering if anyone had any advise or tips on how to pull this off and still look good.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:25 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you will get a million responses on how to do it. but i say rattle cans from wal mart, sandpaper, painters tape and some kind of cleaner is all you need. although there is another option that you can use vinyl that i know has become very popular. check it out http://www.unfinishedman.com/how-to-...lack-for-cheap

Old 12-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just tape off and cover everything, it sucks getting fine paint dust on all your glass, and paint too.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tape Hood

Thanks for the advise, I saw on another website someone who taped off the raised part of the hood and painted it a seperate color. Any advise on this technique or just go for it?

I was thinking aboiut using the flat black "hammer" spray paint...any concerns???

Old 12-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heat. Without the heat padding under the hood the engine can literally bake off the factory paint. (this happened to my 97) So I'm guessing you would want to make sure your using a high temp rated paint. Paint it with engine paint would be my guess, but I have no actual experience with trying it so take this with a grain of salt.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey man I removed my hood and took my time taping off the hood very very carefully. around the corners I slowly made the angle by putting the strips of tape over one another until the curve was complete. I then took a Xacto knife and sliced the tape to make the curve neater and get any angles out of it. Sanded it down with I think 400 grit sand paper until all blemishes were gone, then did it again. Wiped it down with soapy water to get the dust off. Someone wrote that using alcohol wipes or rubbing alcohol works well also.
Painting: this is where I messed up the most. So the technique is to put as many light layers on as possible. Then gradually adjust your spraying to make the coats even. I suggest going from the front of the hood to the back rather then from side to side. Reason being is the curve of the hood from left to right gives you and uneven appearance. All in all it looks awesome! I plan on doing my hood as well sometime soon. That's going to be a bitch though. I used Krylon Satin black indoor outdoor rattlecans. This was about a month ago it still looks great! I didn't put any clear coats on top. I'll just repaint it later when it starts looking bad.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Just go for it!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default "Can you see the light?"

Originally Posted by Mike_C
Thanks for the advise, I saw on another website someone who taped off the raised part of the hood and painted it a seperate color. Any advise on this technique or just go for it?

I was thinking aboiut using the flat black "hammer" spray paint...any concerns???
Nope just make sure it is FLAT paint with no gloss or shine. The whole point of the black-out on the hood is to reduce glare back into your eyes at night especially if you have or plan to have lights on your roof.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
Nope just make sure it is FLAT paint with no gloss or shine. The whole point of the black-out on the hood is to reduce glare back into your eyes at night especially if you have or plan to have lights on your roof.

Even with flat paint it still seems to be a glare with roof lights, but normal driving it does take a lot of oncoming cars glare away with a flat paint surface on the hood

Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_C

I would stay away from the "Hammered" finishes...

Flat black. bbq paint works well.

Quick Reply: Spray paint roof and hood