Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

squeaking, harmonic balancer and idler pulley bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 11:21 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaking, harmonic balancer and idler pulley bearing

Hello everyone,

Recently my belt has been speaking around 1000-2500 rpm at acceleration but also driving at a constant speed. I replaced the belt and the squeaking was still happening. Not knowing much about the pulley system I bought an idler pulley bearing thinking I could use it for the crankshaft pulley. So, now I have a new idler puller bearing that I will be replacing even though it is not the source of the squeak. I have targeted the squeak to the crankshaft pulley, it is wobbly as well. Ive sprayed it with WD40 and oiled it up for a temporary fix every once in a while but its getting worse and I want to replace it. AB has the whole assembly for $670 which I cannot afford. I found some others for about $175 and I will post the links. I was wondering if anybody could confirm that these products will fit, and other things I should do once I take it off and have everything open.

https://www.landybitz.com.au/land-ro...di-harmonic-ba

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LHG10...8aAovgEALw_wcB

https://4wdindustries.com.au/product...300tdi-err2220

P.S. this is my daily driver, should I not be driving and wait to fix this?

Old 04-18-2021, 08:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Um, it's not uncommon for the crank pulley to split at the snout or the elastomer to let go between the center and sheave. Contact one of the fellas in my signature, I got one from Will cheap several years ago, try him first. You need to address the problem with the crank pulley first, then address the slipping belt with a new one. Stop lubing the belt! Also look at the idler and tensioner pulleys, make sure the bearings are not grinding and that the tensioner is putting tension on the belt. Make sure the water pump is turning freely and it's shaft doesn't wobble and the check the power steering pumps pulley. All these checks are the with the belt removed.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:35 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Um, it's not uncommon for the crank pulley to split at the snout or the elastomer to let go between the center and sheave. Contact one of the fellas in my signature, I got one from Will cheap several years ago, try him first. You need to address the problem with the crank pulley first, then address the slipping belt with a new one. Stop lubing the belt! Also look at the idler and tensioner pulleys, make sure the bearings are not grinding and that the tensioner is putting tension on the belt. Make sure the water pump is turning freely and it's shaft doesn't wobble and the check the power steering pumps pulley. All these checks are the with the belt removed.
thank you for the tips. I changed the idler bearing and its still squeaking. So, I brought it in to my local guy to take a look at the balancer and clutch fan with a more refined eye. He's also doing an overall diagnostic test on the beast cause I bought it with little knowledge about these trucks. Hopefully everything checks out. thanks again

nate