Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

SRS Light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010 | 09:14 AM
|
Drifting
Default SRS Light?

Completed most of the 60K maintenance. Cosmo, using a tube on the bleed screw to flush the P/S was simply, controlled and no mess; thanks. I do have a leak(s) from that area and will pinpoint when engine cleaned, but do the fittings on the P/S have o-rings in the case hoses appear to be good.

My new 95 Disco didn't come with a operators manual so I do have the ABS light on which I have read the options in RAVE and will look into soon, but also have SRS light. What does that stand for?

Being a 95 base model, no sunroofs etc, but has leather seats, how differcult would it be to fit heated seat? Are they wired from factory and a matter of dash switch and element or more complicated.

Going to try and find a operators manual for in the truck on ebay or like.

Old 12-09-2010 | 09:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The SRS(supplemental restraint system) light is an airbag system malfunction.

To hook you're seat heaters up, if I remember right, is simple plugging the connector under the seat(one end connector on seat, one on vehicle), then you need to replace the panel by the gear selector that holds the switches for the windows with one that has the switches for the seat heat also. All the wiring and connectors should be on the vehicle, just plug-n-play.

Old 12-09-2010 | 10:01 AM
|
Drifting

SRS...of course! (as palm of hand hitting forehead) thanks Kenk; is this usually a sensor mulfuction?
I would guess my seat wouldn't have the heat element in it,......would it??

Old 12-09-2010 | 11:07 AM

The SRS light comes on when there is a short in one of the connections from the DCU to one of the SRS components.

Diagnosing the truck will cost you around $120 at a Land Rover dealership or you might be able to find a indie LR shop that will do it for free or on the cheap. The testing equipment is expensive and not only brand but model specific. Some scanners can read a D2 DCU but not a D1 DCU.

WARNING: before you do any work on the SRS system you must disconnect the battery and let the truck sit for 10 minutes. Most items related to the SRS system are pyrotechnic and will explode and can cause serious enjury or death if proper precaution is not taken.

What sets off the SRS light? It can be something as simple as dust in the seat belt sensor. Try connecting and disconnecting the passengar side seat belt 20 or 30 times in a row with the truck running. Then restart the truck. If that doesn't work then try going to an empty parking lot turning the wheel all the way in one direction then start driving and just let the wheel work its way back to center. If you hear any unusual whining or other sound coming from the steering wheel it is the driver side airbag module that needs replacement. Another common problem is a short at the ground of either the driver side of passengar side seat belt pre-tensioner (where the seat belt clicks into). Check the bolt that holds the pre-tensioners in place. Loosen it and try tightening it down again. This is an eletrical ground for the pre-tensioner.

If you get a diagnostic it will tell you exactly what the problem is. If you need a new seat belt pre-tensioner, try this first. Click and unclick the seat belt times. Sometimes dust builds up in the pre-tensioner and causes the connection to seem faulty. After re-starting the truck if the light stays on then you have two options. The best bet is to get one from the dealer new. $218. You will need your VIN. Your second option is to get one used from one of our trusted parts guys like Will Tillery or Paul Grant. Besides seat belt pre-tensioners another common problem is the airbag units themselves. These I would suggest buying the part new from Land Rover and installing it yourself. Installation is fairly easy for both. Again disconnect the battery before handling the SRS system.

Old 12-09-2010 | 11:57 AM

The owner's manual is contained in the RAVE.

Old 12-09-2010 | 10:54 PM
|
Drifting

Great responses......thanks for the SRS info and will try the basic procedures first, of course.

I keep missing the owners manual section in Rave....I'll try again.

Cheers