Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

SS Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SS Brake Lines

Do they replace the line that connects to my brake caliper? I'm asking because those are steel pipes..?

Old 10-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the back no, there are two lines in the middle of the rear axle. In the front yes

Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Pro Wrench

So on the front, the steel lines that connect to the caliper and are in the way when you take off the caliper bolts get removed for the ss lines? Just clarifying.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought they replaced the existing rubber hoses.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calebbo
So on the front, the steel lines that connect to the caliper and are in the way when you take off the caliper bolts get removed for the ss lines? Just clarifying.

No the SS lines just replace the rubber hoses. The metal lines from the caliper to the hose doesnt get replaced.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Pro Wrench

Well do those metal lines ever need replacing? I'm afraid I might kink it one day (or the PO already has) and really screw me one day..

Old 10-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only if theyre rusted or damaged...

Old 10-21-2011, 09:20 AM

My front rigid brake pipes were in sad shape when I first got mine. I did break the driver's side when I replaced my front rusted calipers. I called Rovers North to get a pair. For some reason the Land Rover supplied lines were something like 15 bucks for the passenger's side but the driver's side was close to 100 bucks, which is crazy because they are like mirror images of one another.

The sales guys at RN told him to hold on a minute, then they got back on with me and said they had decided to start making them there and adding that to their inventory rather than procure them from LR. They quoted me something like 12 bucks each and I got the first set that they made.

A little minor reshaping was required as part of the installation.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench

How hard are they to install? I know one end goes to the brake caliper but I don't know where the other end goes to. There is a picture on the RAVE that says the "pressure reducing valve". So is it an easy disconnect from the valve and the caliper and reinstall?

Old 10-21-2011, 10:20 AM

The ends are just threaded couplings. Threads on the outside of that coupling mate to internal threads on the mating half. So you use an open ended wrench to loosen or tighten, just be careful not to strip them or cross-thread them or they are ruined.

Use two wrenches in most applications, one to hold the stationary side to prevent movement, the other to loosen the coupling on the brake line.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-333-brakes.aspx

They do not show the little rigid pipes that connect to the calipers for some reason. The rear pipes are pretty complex with the valve along the center of the rear axle.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 10-21-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: SS Brake Lines