Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Starting issue after running fine this am.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting issue after running fine this am.

Started the truck this morning no problem. Drove to work. Few hours later started it right up and drove it back home. Parked it the up slope of the driveway to move a bike. Shut it off – did not lock it or set the alarm, and haven’t been able to start it since. Put it in neutral and rolled it back down the driveway into the street and pushed it up to a curb. Now on a flat surface, but still nothing.

Symptoms:

Turn the key and hear one, maybe two clicks in the switches under the passenger glove box. Nothing from the starter. No crank nothing. Not even an effort to turn over. Can hear the fuel pump run for the five seconds or so. Service engine light, ABS light and SRS lights come on, but they are always on. Check engine light come on but goes off after 5 secs.

What I’ve done so far:
Let it sit for 30 minutes or so. Didn’t help. Figure the battery is good as the window goes down and it started twice this morning. Checked the terminal connection at the battery – fine and tight. Checked the ground. Good. Pressed the inertia switch. Pressed the inertia switch with the key in pos 2. Nothing from either. Checked the pressure at the rail and got fuel all over. Pressure seems good there. With the key in pos 2 locked and unlocked the car three times with the key thinking the alarm might be in the way, but nothing.

Mechanically, the truck has been running fine for months and months. Most of the 60K service done just recently. Has magnecor wires in there. No idea what the spark plugs are. Have Bosh 4+, new wires and distributor cap in the garage waiting to go in. Maybe this weekend is it.

All I can say is the driveway gradient is maybe 4 to 5 degrees. I didn’t think the starter was dying as I haven’t heard/felt/seen symptoms of that coming.

Sorry for the long post, just emptying the knowledge bin.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

The batter could be dead and still work a window.
Pull the battery, or jump the truck, get it running then go to your local parts store, have them test the system, need a minimum of 13.6 volts.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Mudding

Tried to jump it with the mini van and no luck. Not doing anything different. Also got under it and smacked the starter with a wrench while my wife turned the key. No luck there either.

Any other thoughts?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Bad battery cable or bad starter or starter relay are my uneducated guess'.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Mudding

Yup. my uneducated guess as well. Starter is making a weird hissing noise while I was under there. Anyway, God bless AAA. Having it towed tomorrow having reviewed the changing starter thread in the tech section. Know a good mechanic. Wife says it goes up for sale after today's episode. Not cool, but understandable. Maybe I should sell the M3 instead...

Old 12-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Team Owner

I say if a for sale sign goes in the window then a divorce lawyer is needed.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
I say if a for sale sign goes in the window then a divorce lawyer is needed.
She did let me buy a 2008 M3. lol! So not all that bad. I was trying to talk her into letting me take the kids offroading without a mini van chaperone and it died right in front of her in the driveway ha! Not a ringing endorsement. I've got three kids 7,3,3, and a baby on the way. She just wants something reliable. She's a worry wort.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by twoxred
She did let me buy a 2008 M3. lol! So not all that bad. I was trying to talk her into letting me take the kids offroading without a mini van chaperone and it died right in front of her in the driveway ha! Not a ringing endorsement. I've got three kids 7,3,3, and a baby on the way. She just wants something reliable. She's a worry wort.
If she wants something reliable, tell her to walk.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Mudding

Wife and great marital advice aside... I'll let you know what happens thanks.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Team Owner

Please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Starting issue after running fine this am.