Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Sun Roof Parts??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Sun Roof Parts??

Well there have been some complaints this last week with the warmer temps about the sun roof not working. Pressing the button in both directions gives a clicking sound like a stripped gear. Luckily it is in the closed position so it keeps the weather out but I might have to repair it eventually. I saw where someone was working on a rebuild kit but that was a few years old. Anybody know where I can get parts? Would I be better off getting the whole unit?

Thanks

Old 03-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the whole units. I think I payed around 100 bucks for both with no motors. Ironically I picked up a parts truck a few weeks later with 2 non leaking, working sun roofs. If your interested in them shoot me a Pm. We are moving in may and the truck has to go!

Old 03-23-2014, 02:30 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Sent a PM.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Pro Wrench

Thanks! got one on it's way, now just got to figure out how to get it apart once the weather warms up a bit. The manual (RAVE) isn't too clear but I think once I dig in it shouldn't be too bad.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 AM
TReK

To remove the sunroof you are going to have to drop the headliner. If it's the front, that means removing the sunvisors, clips, overhead console and the grab handles. You may be able to drop the headliner enough to remove the sunroof motor and gain access to the small torx bolts that secure the inner drip tray. Be careful not to damage the plastic nipples that have the drain hoses attached. with the inner tray removed you can pry the upper frame with the rails out through the top of the roof. To install just reverse the process.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:04 AM
Pro Wrench

Well the fabric on the headliner is a bit on the 'falling off' side so maybe I will just remove it and fix that as well... sounds like a long weekend (hopefully without rain) when I get to it.

(I only have the front sun roof on my truck.)

Old 03-28-2014, 06:45 AM
TReK

Houston, we have a problem!

If you have only one sunroof, it is, most likely not a genuine Land Rover sunroof. It was an aftermarket sunroof installed, maybe by the dealer, but more likely by someone else. Land Rover never sold the DI or DII with just one sunroof.

I sold a guy a complete sunroof a couple of years ago. He was down in FL. He never bothered to tell me he had only one sunroof. He pulled his and when he went to install the genuine sunroof I sent him it didn't fit. It was completely different. I have a DI here I've been using as a winter beater. It has two aftermarket sunroofs in it. They are nothing like the genuine sunroofs. Everything from the switches to the motors to the glass are completely different.

I don't know where you got the replacement sunroof from but before you start removing the one you have in the truck take measurement. You may have bought something you won't be able to use.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Pro Wrench

Good to know!! my sunroof has the 2 separate shades, which is the one I purchased, does that help?? I will take some measurements before I start pulling it apart.

Last edited by jimvw57; 03-28-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:45 AM
TReK

Anytime I've seen sunroofs that weren't installed by the factory they didn't have the shades.You may be lucky. Whomever it was that installed your sunroof may have used a sunroof from another Discovery.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:58 AM
Pro Wrench

Possibly, I have found a few modifications on this truck, like DII cup holders, and a heavily modified sound system, which caused the starting problems (I removed it and things got better) Time will tell if I got the sunroof I need, maybe I will end up with a second sunroof after all...

Tomorrow (well actually today since it is after midnight) I take a look at the exhaust leak that started this last week. Been too cold to crawl under and see where it is making all the noise. It has gotten louder the last few days thanks to my kid driving around with it ...

Last edited by jimvw57; 03-29-2014 at 01:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Sun Roof Parts??