Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Sunroof stuck in open position !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 05:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Sunroof stuck in open position !!

Hello,

when installing the components for making both sunroofs sliding by just a single button on a switch, the rear sunroof tilted and sliced backwards (yesyes), but when trying to close, the sunroof stuck in open stand after sliding forwards, just at the point to lower for closing.
No way to close ! And now I begin to understand the problem : till about a year ago, the manual spindel had more and more difficulties to unlock that sunroof ; after a lot of pulling and pushing the spindle very hard, the mechanism suddenly unlocked with a loud click, just as something seemed in some way stuck in the spindel mechanism. And as we drive almost always without rear passengers, I always had to stop the Disco, and getting out to open/close the back sunroof. So I thought electrification of both manual sunroofs school be a “great” idea.

I could see that at one side, the mechanism tried to lower the sunroof, while the other side doesn’t move (the sides from the sunroof are then no more aligned with de rubbers from the tray.
So I decided for demontation of the sliding mechanism. But before I start this task, has someone experience in this kind of repair ?
Both pictures are the left and right tilting mechanism on the glass.
Every good advice is welcome ! (And please, advising to tape both sunroofs definitely closed, are in this case not welcome !)

Old 11-20-2022, 09:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had the same issue with my front. It's finicky. It gets to that point where it is supposed to lower, and then it sits there. I ended up going down to the junkyard and grabbing another sunroof computer (not certain of its official name - it sits just inside the sun visor area right where the sunroof switches are). And, I grabbed two switches. I cleaned up the connections and installed and everything has worked fine from that point on. Not sure if the fix was merely cleaning the connections or, the switches, or the computer.

You could grabbing some WD40 Contact Cleaner and clean all of the connections. Then, you could also lubricate the moving parts with some graphite spray. If that doesn't work, is there a junkyard close?

The following users liked this post:
Moab63 (12-07-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 10:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Gents, the sunroofs on these particular trucks were faulty the day they left the assembly line. Once you get them closed, DO NOT EVER OPEN THEM AGAIN. Do not try and replace them with one from a junkyard. Do not try and become friends with them. They are your enemy. Keep the closed, be sure there is a tight seal, and never look back.

Old 11-30-2022, 04:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello,
Thanks folks for the reactions!
Meanwhile I’ve found many interesting publications on this forum about sunroof removal and repair ; just explore the database !
Last week I started the removal from the under tray and the sliding/tilting mechanism from the rear sunroof ; I make progress and take a picture from every significant moment. So I ‘ll wait till the end to publish a kind of guide.
Anywhere the spouts from the drain where both in perfect condition and no sign from leaks and/or waterdrops at that side.
But the left drain was taped agaunst the ceiling ; that means a difference from more than 1 cm that makes water constantly building up for 1 cm in the under tray at this side !

To be followed !
PierroDisco