Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Sweet smell from exhaust! ohnoessss

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Sweet smell from exhaust! ohnoessss

So after changing my steering box out this weekend I now have a sweet smell coming from my exhaust. I could smell it while I was putting air into my tires at the gas station. I know this could mean several things but I did have one question.
During the steering box procedure I almost took on of the radiator top hoses off so I could reach into the engine bay more easily but half way into unscrewing the clamp I decided that would be a bad idea. That being said, is it possible that I let some air into the system and would this somehow result in the smell? No idea when/if the gaskets have ever been done... I have everything for a coolant flush just need to get around to it. Should I just try the flush and bleed to see if it helps? Engine temp stays fine while car is running and there are no coolant leaks on the ground. Thanks guys!
Lev

Old 01-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No all you can do is..

Watch coolant level
Watch temperature
Do compression test.

No way you caused it, well you kinda did. You fix one thing on a rover and another goes. Chase the problems till you find one you can live with and let it be.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You have a blown head gasket, don't need to watch and sniff any more. You should stop driving it and either fix it your self if you can, or start getting estimates from a local shop.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Pro Wrench

You would know if you had a bad gasket leak. With a smaller one sometimes it's impossible to tell. I have never smelt
Exhaust sweet enough to know
For sure it's coolant.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Yeah I guess i'm not going to be driving it any more until I get the head gasket fixed. **** man! So bizzare, the car sat for about 2 weeks or so while I got the steering box delivered and in place. Didn't do any crazy driving.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Pro Wrench

So your positive?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Rock Crawling

No I am not sure yet, just upset a little but something like this was expected soo I just have to deal with it. Called up British Car Doctors in Upperville, VA where I bought my disco and Paul recommended to first check coolant level, as well as the front 2 and back 2 spark plugs for any white residue. The fact that my temperature is steady at horizontal and I don't see any boil over in the engine bay doesn't really point to a head gasket failure. More like an intake gasket or Paul mentioned a valley something... Might not be all that bad right now. Thanks for your help guys I would be very lost without this forum!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

What you need to do is have someone do a coolant pressure test at 18 pounds for 15 minutes, you will know for sure at that point.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Mike could you elaborate on the procedure? Mind if I give you a call later to talk about it? I don't have a pressure tester but will go get one if need be. Thank you

Old 01-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Its pretty simple, you hook up a cooling system PSI tester and pump up the cooling system to 15 PSI.
Let it sit and watch the gauge on the tester.
If it drops more than 5 PSI in 15 min you have a leak.

Quick Reply: Sweet smell from exhaust! ohnoessss