Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Temporary Fix for Leaky Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:59 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temporary Fix for Leaky Sunroof

One of the two (or both) sunroofs on my '97 Disco is leaking. At the moment I don't have time to tear down the liner and remediate the leak. I would like to seal the sunroofs temporarily until I find the time to tackle the project. Any suggestions on the best waterproof tape to use? I don't want to damage the pain or create a sticky mess! Open to all suggestions, involving tape or not. Thank you.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:27 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beachdisco
One of the two (or both) sunroofs on my '97 Disco is leaking. At the moment I don't have time to tear down the liner and remediate the leak. I would like to seal the sunroofs temporarily until I find the time to tackle the project. Any suggestions on the best waterproof tape to use? I don't want to damage the pain or create a sticky mess! Open to all suggestions, involving tape or not. Thank you.
I used light duty window caulk, it peels off pretty well provided you Take the right angle (I used a sanding sponge and the BACKSIDE of a razor blade). Since the whole thing is black the little bit of residue I lost patience on is virtually unnoticeable. I kept reapplying electrical tape but it would peel off from wind and water exposure. Plus the sun will eat up almost every tape you can find. If anyone else has a better alternative please share, I'm in the same predicament.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

In the same boat here. My 98' rear is not sealed and to be completely sure rain doesn't get inside, I keep a tarp over it. It works well. With that being said, this is an issue that has to be resolved for the mere fact that I can't keep a tarp on it 24/7. What I have heard from those who are more knowledgeable than I is that there are two reasons why it leaks. One, the drain plugs are clogged and are not allowing water to drain, instead leaking into the inside. Second, the sunroof itself doesn't sit flush and does not have a tight enough fit to keep water out. The solution, find a D1 that has a sunroof that isn't warped or broken, remove the sunroof from it and install in your vehicle.
Now, this isn't an hour job apparently and it requires dropping the headliner to access the parts and expose the sunroof fro the inside. I have read where some will use a caulk or other type of sealant to permanently seal the sunroof but it has to sit flush and close all the way before that can be done. Bottom line is that they suck and it is a problem on all D1's with sunroofs.
If anyone has any other solutions that are long term and don't require major alterations of the area I'm all ears.

Like the other guy said, tape won't last and the sun will bake it onto the roof. I get the feeling that the only viable solution is to have it replaced, make sure it sits tight and secure down in its proper place and never use the thing again. As a matter of fact, disconnect the switch so it can't be accidently opened.

Last edited by stillruns; 04-21-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:35 PM
2nd Gear

My 98 front sunroof leaks and haven't had the time to fix it right so I sealed it up with plumbers putty it stays soft and can be easily dug out and cleaned up, it's been on mine for a few months with no leaks

Old 04-22-2016, 06:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Still no one with any solution or experience with repairs..? I guess the only solution is to spend a boat load of money and buy a new unit or just seal the thing and never use it again.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:26 AM
2nd Gear
Default sunroof in my 06 lr3 wont open

changed my battery and now i cant get my sunroof to open i have tried the 20 sec procedure but still no go ,any other suggestions

Old 04-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Pro Wrench

If it's closed and not leaking consider yourself lucky.