Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Terra firma install

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terra firma install

This is what brown brought me:
Name:  c3031575.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  110.0 KB

Any advice on the install?

Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Drifting

I should be getting one of these in the next 3 weeks. Very interested in this thread.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start spraying everything with PB blaster now. It's pretty easy and straight forward. I usually do front first. losen lug nuts, support frame with jack stands and keep jack under axle. Unbolt old shocks and towers pull them out. Then lower the jack so the springs dislocate. Remove old springs, replace with new springs, jack it up and then install new shocks. Rear is the same deal but shocks are easier to get on and off usually. It's pretty straight forward and easy.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Jake! I have to do a undercarriage wash first. Rather muddy from last offroad trip. I have a full can of blaster ready to go.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by luckyd77
I should be getting one of these in the next 3 weeks. Very interested in this thread.
This is the HD spring and big bore +2" setup.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
Thanks Jake! I have to do a undercarriage wash first. Rather muddy from last offroad trip. I have a full can of blaster ready to go.
And a set of ratcheting wrenchs also makes it a lot easier.. A lot of places you wont be able to fit a regular socket wrench

Edited to add one more thing - Pipe wrench works wonders for removing old shocks. Or massive channel locks/vice grips. New ones obviously go on a lot easier and you'll just need something to keep the shock from spinning.

Last edited by Jake1996D1; 03-21-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Got them!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
New ones obviously go on a lot easier and you'll just need something to keep the shock from spinning.
looks like his new ones are tabbed at the ends, so you can get the nuts started by hand then grab the tab at the top of the threads with some vice grips to keep the shocks from spinning. if youre using nylocs you dont need them to be tightened to 1000lb ft hah

the thing i had the hardest time with was wrestling the new front springs in. took some prying and seriously reefing down the spring compressors. in retrospect id probably take the 5 minutes to disconnect the sway bay and undo the brake lines while i was in there... rather than waiting to do the brake lines after the lift. this should give you LOTS of room to pop the new springs in.
otherwise a straightforward job!

also i dont know how big that lift is but i ended up being REALLY glad i got new longer brake lines from expedition exchange... the rear soft lines were basically the only thing holding the rear axle up at full droop with the new hardware (i put the dropped rear upper shock mounts on mine though)

ive got a 2" OME lift... for what its worth.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
looks like his new ones are tabbed at the ends, so you can get the nuts started by hand then grab the tab at the top of the threads with some vice grips to keep the shocks from spinning. if youre using nylocs you dont need them to be tightened to 1000lb ft hah

the thing i had the hardest time with was wrestling the new front springs in. took some prying and seriously reefing down the spring compressors. in retrospect id probably take the 5 minutes to disconnect the sway bay and undo the brake lines while i was in there... rather than waiting to do the brake lines after the lift. this should give you LOTS of room to pop the new springs in.
otherwise a straightforward job!

also i dont know how big that lift is but i ended up being REALLY glad i got new longer brake lines from expedition exchange... the rear soft lines were basically the only thing holding the rear axle up at full droop with the new hardware (i put the dropped rear upper shock mounts on mine though)

ive got a 2" OME lift... for what its worth.
You dont need spring compressers or need to dissconect brake hoses (unless you're replacing them anyway) or sway bars if you do them both at the same time. You take the lower perch off then put the new spring in, push it all the way up and slide the perch under the spring. I've only done it a couple 5 times

Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did do both but didnt seem to fine enough room in there...
next time (hopefully not since i dont plan on buying another rover!) hah

Quick Reply: Terra firma install