Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Is there a "best year" for the Discovery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is there a "best year" for the Discovery?

--Hi, all. I am in the market for a Discovery I. Is there a particular year I should stay away from? Also, is there a "best overall" year for the Discovery I? I realize that problems can arise with any of the years the Discovery I was made, though.

--This forum is awesome. I have been reading about lift kits, Saudi grills, and a slew of other things. My head has finally stopped spinning because of all the info., lol. I live in southeast part of Oklahoma and hope to find a Discovery series I within 300 miles or so (that would include Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX, Tulsa, OK, and Oklahoma City, OK, etc.) of my home. I just love looking on Ebay for a Discovery...even if the truck is too far away, I still enjoy just looking. Anyway, you guys keep up with the informative posts.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

No. It's all opinion. I personally don't like distributors so I like the 96+ some don't like odb-ii so they like the 94-95.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Ive been nothing but satisfied with the 98 Its all preference when it comes down to those last couple of years. And like jafir said, IF you prefer Fuel injection over a Distributor, Go for something newer then 96.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 PM
5th Gear
Thumbs up Thanks.

--Ok, that's good to know. I will probably look for a '99 or '98, then. Thanks for your help. I've been looking at the Series II's as well and started reading about the differences between I and II here on this site. Nice read. If I go for the Series II, I will go for the '04 model because of the CDL.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doubt the '96 was the best Rover ever.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

96 was not the best, they had t/case oil issues that Rover had a TSB out on.
Stay with the 97 thru 99 which had all the bugs worked out on.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Older is classic, newer not so much. I enjoy my 99D1. But technically speaking they are nearly all the same. I would consider something newer just becouse it will have less wear and tear.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
96 was not the best, they had t/case oil issues that Rover had a TSB out on.
Stay with the 97 thru 99 which had all the bugs worked out on.
Awww...I thinks it's the best year Mike.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:51 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by LRD2&ME
Older is classic, newer not so much. I enjoy my 99D1. But technically speaking they are nearly all the same. I would consider something newer just becouse it will have less wear and tear.
--I just put a notice in the "Wanted" section of this site and I agree. While I would like a 98 or 99, I would still love to have a 2004 Series II. Even though they are not the same vehicle, it is still a very much capable Land Rover, and it is only roughly 7 years old. The more I've been thinking about it, I would much rather have an '04. Less potential problems. I know nothing about cars, actually, and I thought about buying an old one that runs, but might need some work done, that way I would get a better deal on it, and maybe learn a thing or two about fixing my own vehicle....however, I ended up deciding on trying to find a much newer vehicle, and if a problem arises, I will just support the local mechanic, lol.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:29 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the best year Disco is the '83 model...

Quick Reply: Is there a "best year" for the Discovery?