Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Thermostat choices?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay. Well, maybe I'll try the 180 unit, and see if that puts me back down to where it used to be, and keeps things steady. I won't get to it until Friday night at the soonest, so if anyone else has an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Rock Crawling

So...two thermostats, a system flush at Firestone and a Chevy fan clutch later, the problem persists.
I guess the next steps would be to check out the temp sensor, or remove the radiator and hoses.
All the repairs I've done have gotten the temps down some, but it's still doing it's weird thing where it goes up to 211, down to 190, up to 211, down to 190. The strange thing is, the more heat-soaked the engine gets, the better it behaves. I might chalk the oscillations up to it settling into a steady operating temperature, but when I've driven it cold, the temperatures can rise up into the 230-40 range. They don't stay there for more than a few seconds, then drop back down again. I really don't have the time and money for radiators and hoses, but it looks like I have to make it happen.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Cut, hole in old thermostat

2. Believe it may POSSIBLY be a bad sensor.

3. Air in the unit?

4 Check for temperature difference in radiator and hoses.

5 Consider the possiblity of a head gasket.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry, just saw you did check temperature

And the part where you said the coolant would rise and lower makes me think... I dont know...

I would try ripping the center out of the old thermo anyways and see.

Is it possible that a waterpump can fait to pump water intermittently

Old 10-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Rock Crawling

I need to get back out and do some more checking of temps across the radiator. I REALLY expected it to be a component that operates mechanically as a function of water temperature. Thermostat and fan clutch were both changed, so I guess that's not it. What do you mean by put a hole in the t-stat? Basically just alter it as to run with it open all the time?
Can a water pump move water intermittently? I guess. I'm not sure, but I think it's a gear type pump, driven directly by the engine, so I wouldn't expect that to be the issue. But who knows. Stranger things have happened.
I do know that I have trapped air in there somewhere. I've tried to bleed it repeatedly, but apparently with marginal success.
One thing that my father-in-law noticed, was that when the truck was at operating temps, he shined a flashlight down through the fluid in the reservoir, and it didn't appear to moving much at all. I also thought that when I was filling the reservoir, the coolant didn't fill up into the radiator as quickly as I expected it to. So I suppose it could be a clog in the plumbing somewhere, that let's flow through better when the coolant is well heated, but doesn't allow flow so well when it's cooler. This is one of those oddball problems that came on suddenly, and is hard to find. Usually that means it's something really simple, but very hard to find. Like a cockroach stuck in a coolant passage or hose somewhere.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Have you taken the radiator to a radiator shop and had it flow tested?
It could very well be clogged internally.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Rock Crawling

No, I haven't gotten the radiator out or anything yet. I only get to work on it for small packets of time here and there. I think I might try cleaning up the temp sensor before I do anything major, only because it would be relatively quick and easy (and free). I don't have a lot of confidence that it will help any, but it's worth a shot before diving in to the radiator.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Rock Crawling

I finally got the radiator out. There was all kinds of crap piled up in between the radiator and the e-fans. I took the radiator to a local radiator shop, and the guy told me it was shot. He pointed out quite a large area of the cooling fins that were rusted away, or otherwise damaged. So hopefully this is my problem and a new radiator will solve it all.
Now about the new radiator....does anyone have a good lead on where to grab one? RN wants about $720 for theirs (Seriously? It's a f&#king radiator!). A search on AB didn't turn one up for the DI, but I know there is a lot of parts commonality between the DI and the RRC, and the RRC radiator looks very similar. They were asking about $520 for the RRC radiator.
Please, someone tell me a radiator can be had for less than those prices.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Google is your friend.

You can get one for under $500 delivered if you look around.
Will the guy at the shop rebuild yours?

Old 10-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call around local parts stores, one by me can get a radiator for 250, i asked when i picked up my fan clutch.

Quick Reply: Thermostat choices?