Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

For those of you that have or have done a diesel conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you that have or have done a diesel conversion

Let me start by saying I realize regulations vary by state, and even within a state, but I am looking to hear what people have done to overcome the problem with registering a diesel conversion. I have a 1999 D1 with a 1998 300TDI from a UK D1. The initial conversion was done by someone else, and attention to detail was lacking. I have put 100s of hours into cleaning it up and making sure everything is just right. I currently have it titled and registered in CO. I have been driving it for almost three years as a daily driver, and have put nearly 20K miles on the conversion. I have to say I love it!

Here's a quick run down of the current configuration:

1999 D1 with a 1998 300TDI engine and automatic transmission
1.5" Terra Firma Lift
Tactical Rovers front bumper
Warn 10K winch with synthetic line
245-75-16 BFG Mud Terrain Tires
Full SD rack
Hella Lights on SD rack and winch bumper

Now, here is the rub, I have moved into Denver proper, where I need emissions to register my Disco. It passed emissions, BUT, it doesn't meet Denver's regulations for a diesel conversion So currently, I can't register it anywhere where emissions is required. Not a huge problem, because I have a ranch property where it is now registered, but I would like to see what other people have done to overcome certification/registration hurdles.

In checking with the EPA, it sounds like most everyone that has done a diesel conversion technically has an illegal vehicle. There is a very, very narrow range of acceptable conversions, and they estimate less than 1% of conversions actually meet all the requirements........

What have you done, and how did you get your vehicle through the bureaucratic jungle?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:44 PM
Three Wheeling

I have a 300tdi in las vegas. I may or may not but definitely don't pay somebody 150 dollars a year to make it pass like its still a gasoline powered truck.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:53 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It's pretty common that if emissions is required for the vehicle you can't register it.
Here in Georgia an OBD1 (1995 or earlier in the case of a Discovery) can be converted to diesel and with a letter from the dealer confirming it is, in fact, a diesel, it can be registered in counties that require emissions testing.
Any OBDII, nope.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by gunsanroses91
I have a 300tdi in las vegas. I may or may not but definitely don't pay somebody 150 dollars a year to make it pass like its still a gasoline powered truck.

Really? It's a conversion? I worried about that here in town with the annual emissions testing.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Is it still considered a conversion if it was a factory fitted option ?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by loanrangie
Is it still considered a conversion if it was a factory fitted option ?
There have been no Land Rover factory fitted diesel options in the US since the 60's, or early 70's at the latest.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
There have been no Land Rover factory fitted diesel options in the US since the 60's, or early 70's at the latest.
I realise that but the vehicle was optioned with the TDI in most other markets so effectively you are just bolting in another optional engine.

No different than buying a V6 Camaro and dropping in the correct version SBC using factory parts, this scenario is perfectly legal with our regs.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Really? It's a conversion? I worried about that here in town with the annual emissions testing.
yep! I'm on smog 2 with it.

In vegas the dmv said it was okay as long as you could prove it was legally imported in other vehicles. how you would do that with one that was actually legal idk but i gave up right after that hah

Old 07-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by loanrangie
I realise that but the vehicle was optioned with the TDI in most other markets so effectively you are just bolting in another optional engine.

No different than buying a V6 Camaro and dropping in the correct version SBC using factory parts, this scenario is perfectly legal with our regs.
Except optional engines also have to be EPA certified just like the ones they come with. The 300Tdi never was.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Drifting

There have to be dozens, or hundreds of these things titled, licensed and driving around the US. I know of two D1s and a Defender here in CO. I knew you had to jump through hoops to get them registered, but it's actually next to impossible

A little more research, and actually none of the 200/300 TDI conversions are technically legal in the US. Even bringing in a legal 25 year old or older diesel vehicle and moving the engine to another 25 year old vehicle is not legal.....

Here's the kicker for me. You can drop the same 300 TDI engine in a Kit Car, or build a custom vehicle from the ground up and once the State Patrol certifies it safe for road use, it is licensable an emissions exempt.

Sometimes the laws around this stuff make no sense at all.

I guess that just makes us rebels and hooligans....

I love mine, and it actually passes the emissions portion of an E test with flying colors, so I'm not going to worry about it. i just have to make sure I continue own property in an emissions exempt area to register it in.

Quick Reply: For those of you that have or have done a diesel conversion