Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Top end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top end rebuild

Hi All,

New member/owner here about to take on a head gasket/timing chain/camshaft replacement.
I just bought my first Land Rover a couple weeks ago. Its a 1996 Discovery with a V8. A few rust spots, but nothing detrimental especially considering the 147k miles on the clock.
My exhaust is absolutely dumping white smoke which leads me to assume head gasket failure. Head gasket also makes sense given the mileage, I think. The camshaft and timing chain are mostly just for my own peace of mind; the service history of the engine is largely unknown. I also grabbed a new set of radiator hoses because the ones in there look worse for wear. Should I be considering anything else while I'm in there?
Does anyone have any technical advice for me? I've already downloaded the RAVE Manual and it looks pretty comprehensive. I've never worked on the classic Rover V8 before and I'm looking forward to learning about it. Wish me luck!

Thanks in advance

Old 02-07-2017, 11:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Water pump if you don't know the history, that and the fan clutch. Replace both of those as a pair always! White smoke, ah yes, it's peeing coolant into a cylinder. Look at my sig for the two companies I recommend getting your parts from. I've had great luck with Felpro head gaskets, the rest just suck ***** period. You don't need a funky composite gasket but one that seals and the Felpro do. Head bolts - don't get those with a top end "kit" they are sub par, get them one at a time through Rovah farm, better quality. Have a long handled breaker bar that you can add an extension to to reef the head bolts the last turn, your gonna need the torque. Use a paint pen to index your turns with and mark every bolt once you have them torqued to initial spec. Stay away from RTV otherwise the excess ends up in the oil pan and chokes the pump down to nothing - there is a screen but you'll be cleaning it for sure. Use a hi-tac gasket sealant, sticky. Works a charm on machined surfaces and holds to higher temps and pressures than the motor can dish out. Get a good quality valley pan, the cheap ones flake.

Answer back with questions.

The following users liked this post:
bowser (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice!

I already received everything from AB the other week but it seems like I've already done a few things you advise against. See below for the gasket kit I have now; do you think it's worth returning and getting the Felpro deal? I also already have the head bolt kit as well - same question.
Also along the same lines as the head bolts, what are everyone's thoughts on changing over to studs?

Land Rover Head Gasket Set Composite V8 - Land Rover Engine Parts at Roverparts.com

Old 02-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

No problem. Felpro for head gaskets absolutely, keep the others for spares.....lol. The valley pan gasket is up to you but if it's the cheap type it'll look like crap within a 1000 miles and doubt it'll keep from having a vacuum leak. Head bolts look for jagged threads, cheap bolts will be very jagged because of the die used to cut the threads. Studs are expensive, may or may not keep you from failure in my experience.