Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Trading in 2012 Forester for Disco 1

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 11:07 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trading in 2012 Forester for Disco 1

Hey guys - I'm considering selling my 2012 Forester (~125k miles) and getting a Disco 1. From what I've seen it looks like I can get a Disco in decent condition with similar miles for about the same amount my Subaru would go for (10-12k). Pros / my reasons for wanting to swap would be:
  • I want actual 4WD / better clearance
  • Tired of the Forester's weak engine
  • Disco would be more spacious
Cons would be
  • Worse MPG (~15 vs ~21)
  • Forester has been 100% headache free for the 8 years i've had it... Disco would probably require regular wrenching
  • ???

I have experience doing basic work myself (suspension, brakes, alternator, etc.) so I'm not overly stressed about it being a bit of a project car, but on paper I'm having a hard time getting over the fact that I'd be trading a reliable 2012 subaru with lots of life left in it for a vehicle that's 15 years older and more prone to maintenance issues. On the other hand I only drive ~5-6k miles a year so I'd expect the disco to last me a good while with proper care.

I realize I'm in the LR forums and not the Forester ones, but would anyone mind weighing in on whether this is a stupid trade? Is the improved performance worth the extra work / costs? Especially if you've owned both a forester and a disco, any opinions on whether you enjoyed one more than the other? Appreciate any opinions you can give this LR newb.

Thanks,
Michael

Old 12-22-2022, 11:29 AM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

Hi Michael. To start, the Disco is a fantastic machine. It will definitely be way better off road than the Forester. You will definitely be wrenching on it more than your Forester, but most of us on the forum enjoy that. There’s lots of good help for you here. If you’re disappointed with the power of the Forester you may also be disappointed with the power of the Disco. I would say it’s adequate but it’s not a racing car. Good luck in your decision.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Harvlr
If you’re disappointed with the power of the Forester you may also be disappointed with the power of the Disco. I would say it’s adequate but it’s not a racing car.
Appreciate the input. Can you expand on this at all? My Forester's engine is 4cyl and 2.5L; I get smoked by 80% of the cars around me driving over passes in Colorado. I'm not looking for a racecar but at least on paper the disco looks like it would be a notable improvement. Am I missing something?

Old 12-22-2022, 12:52 PM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

As above - You might want to drive one, before selling the Forester. 2 cars might be in your future!

The Forester will smoke a V8 Auto Disco in most situations on the road - you're reducing your power to weight ratio by about 20%. The Torque to weight ratio is similar. The Forester will have more usable low RPM torque too - the Disco doesn't really have torque down low - not like you'd expect from a V8 - it's a quite revving V8, but has a narrow power band, compared to modern cars. The Disco auto has fairly crappy ratios for hill climbing or towing too (unless it's flat everywhere) and the auto eats all the low down power anyway, as the torque convertor only locks after 50+MPH in top, and the stall speed is about 2500 RPM? certainly well over 2000 RPM anyway. It's a very slushy old box!

If you're currently getting 21 US-MPG in the Forester, I'd guess you'd be looking at more like 12 in the Disco, with similar driving, maybe less... 15 is probably about the best you could ever manage and would take some nice gentle driving on flat roads at (lower) constant speed... and even then might be a push.

My Disco gets 11 MPG on my commute if I drive fairly normally and don't use the AC. My Daily gets 20 MPG commuting: it's a 2006 VW Touran 3.2 VR6 AWD 7 seater. It's immensely faster and I drive it faster (0-60 time is under half the Disco), and pretty much uses half the fuel. It only has 15% more torque at it's peak, but it starts MUCH lower and continues right up.

Towing my 4 berth caravan (2600 lbs) and driving like it's not towing/keeping up with traffic, the VW consumes the same as the Disco does without the caravan! And it'd still keep up with the Disco to legal road speeds.

You'll definitely have more space and better off road ability. I like my Disco and I often drive it to work, but it's not anything like a modern car.

The following users liked this post:
MichaelW (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 07:05 AM
Winching
Received 129 Likes on 113 Posts

The D1 is a slug - mountain driving - steep grade is like driving a semi stay in the truck lane

jastutte (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022, 09:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

to be clear disco 1 up to year 99.5' after that its Disco 2 year 99.5 after (till 04? - I cant remember when it became the LR3)
are you sure this is a D1? (10-12k is way way way over priced for a D1 - 4k at most in mint garage kept condition low mile f...-IMO)....... the flush door handles and the lower rear break lights are the most obvious difference betweeen the D1 and D2.
I chose a D1 b/c of the issues with the V8 in the D2 when I bought mine used in 06' for 7k with 62k miles......(now have 129k)
other than preventative and wear items the biggest problem I have had was the breaklines rusted out. (though it wasnt necessary at the time,...I just replaced them all my self by trace/bending - using 65' of line from napa......)
tranny and engine are smooth as they were when I bought it (again maintenance..... I immediately changed the tranny filter and then drained and refilled the tranny fluid 3 to 4 times until is was nice and clear over the course of the next 3 months).

it is a total slug, the main reason to get/drive one is comfort. I have a bad back and this is the best vehicle for long drives-for me.

Always check ALL your fluids - transfer case likes to leak, the exhuast cat likes to bake out the grease of the universal joint at T-case on front Dshaft (so keep it greased - you get a vibration at 30mph - start there....), valve covers dry out and need replacing - leak oil, power steering and tranny hoses may need replacing, expect to need a radiator and water pump (get airtex) soon if still orig., anti lock brake sys likes to fail (just pull the fuss and go without abs), the front window guides will need replacing (plastic gets britle)- easy, rear window ECU may have a cold solder joint - easy if you can work a soldering iron,
thats 16yrs of ownership and 70k miles driven - honestly less maintenance then my bro's 87 4runner toyota......
Rust is my biggest issue now - check rear door jam/dogleg upper and lower, check where the front fener wing meets the firewall, check the lower part of the B pillar.

Last edited by whiskeynipple0088; 12-23-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:47 AM
Winching
Received 129 Likes on 113 Posts

'are you sure this is a D1? (10-12k is way way way over priced for a D1 - 4k at most in mint garage kept condition low mile f...-IMO)'

bringatrailer.com - biggest auction site in the world - minter D1 will go for $25-$35K - maybe more depending on particulars

sandmanspeaking (01-16-2023)
Old 12-23-2022, 11:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by disco96sd
'are you sure this is a D1? (10-12k is way way way over priced for a D1 - 4k at most in mint garage kept condition low mile f...-IMO)'

bringatrailer.com - biggest auction site in the world - minter D1 will go for $25-$35K - maybe more depending on particulars
ok...... want to buy mine 16K?

Old 12-23-2022, 02:37 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the input, guys - esp AIWorms for the engine comparison, that saved me a lot of googling. I'm still bullish on the D1, but that's all good to know. I basically drive 3-4 miles a day locally and then the rest of the driving I do is mostly in the mountains so I'm not too beat up about the lack of fuel efficiency. Pretty much every other SUV I've considered is in the same ballpark anyway.

Re: the 10-12k price I mentioned, I guess the range I'm seeing is actually more like 6-14k with the lower end basically more like project cars and the upper end being fully up to date on maintenance. I'm not an expert on the disco market but I've been watching 3rd gen 4runners and their taco counterparts the past few years and those prices are inflated as hell, so I'm guessing that's what's happening with discos too. Lmk if i'm way off and need to look elsewhere.

On that note, do y'all have any favorite places to watch for these? I've had good luck with eBay and Craigslist for vehicles in the past but if there's a better place for discos that'd be good to know.

AlWorms (12-23-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 11:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Craigslist, OfferUp, some Facebook Groups. I wouldn't bother with Ebay, but you might get lucky. Lots of people there think they've got something no one else has - ha!

These trucks are a real roll of the dice. No matter what the seller tells you about how well taken care of the truck is, take it with a grain of salt. This comes from personal experience buying a truck with a refreshed engine, only for it to require a rebuild in 4 months after purchase. I've got lots of stories.

You could also pick one up at auction for a great price, but you'll be in for a big project. I've also done this, if you care to read.

Personally, i'd never pay over $7k unless the seller had significant documentation of all service done to the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Trading in 2012 Forester for Disco 1