Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

trick to differentail drain plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:17 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trick to differentail drain plugs?

Is there some trick to the drain plugs for the dif? I have tried spraying them with penetrating spray, hitting the breaker bar with a hammer, and putting an extension on the breaker bar. All I achieve is the sensation that I am about to strip the plug. There is no telling when the gear oil was last changed, and I would really like to get it done. Any suggestions?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Heat the drain plug with a propane torch.
Make sure you remove the fill plug first.
Are you sure you are turning them the correct way?
They are upside down so it is "backwards".

Old 09-19-2010, 01:29 PM
4wd Low

they are reverse threaded, or are you just referring to orientation? Also is there another way to heat them lacking propane torch(or any torch for that matter)? Yeah, i already have the fill plugs out, though I have run into the same problem with the transfer case fill plug as I am having with the drain plugs for the diffs. i am starting to wonder if this is my idiocy or the previous owner over torquing them(probably the first, but my ego prefers the second option).

Last edited by flacsrover; 09-19-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used PB Blster for two or three days in advance, then used a half inch drive 18 inch long breaker bar from Harbor Freight. I also have piece of scrap black iron pipe about 40 inches long if I need extra UMPH to break it loose. A slow steady pull with a longer lever arm usually does much better a high shock blow such as a hammer application.

I have even used a foot to push the longer breaker bar if I cannot pull or push by hand. What you want is to develop the most Foot-Pounds of Force. The longer the lever arm, the greater the force you can apply in a steady manner. I have learned over the years to avoid smashing and breaking things.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:33 PM

When you are looking at it from underneath, which side of the vehicle are you attempting to turn it toward?

If you are turning toward the passenger's side you are tightening it. Toward the driver's side will loosen it.

Righty Tighty. Lefty Loosy.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:35 PM
4wd Low

The idea with the hammer blow was a quick sudden shock to break loose rust/ clogging elements. A slow steady push results in the feeling of stripping the plug, which is a bad thing. I will try the PB Blaster. Thanx for the tip.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:37 PM

Hammer Blow will strip or break the plug if not careful.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You may want to cheat and take it to a quick lube for their "4x4" service, it usually runs around $60.
Let them break everything loose and change all the fluids, then in a couple of weeks you change it again yourself.
If it has never been changed before this would be a great way to flush everything out and save yourself the headache.
Plus if they break it they will replace it.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all else fails, you can get hand pumps at like hardware stores,harbor freight,northern tool,tractor supply,etc. Just pump the old out through the fill hole. Won't get all of it like a drain would, but better than nothing.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:33 PM
4wd Low

the differentials and I came to an understanding. However the fill plug for the T-case and I are still having a conversation over who owns who. I very well may take it to a lube shop for the T-case, however I haven't given up yet. Thanks again for the advice.

Quick Reply: trick to differentail drain plugs?