Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Trouble Starting (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/trouble-starting-40651/)

discoveryjack 05-10-2011 05:51 PM

Trouble Starting

I have a 1997 land rover discovery that I have just replaced the fuel pump. Not the whole assembly just the pump. Now my Rover will start but not until I crank it a couple of times. After a few tries it starts and runs just fine. Help please :confused:

LRD2&ME 05-10-2011 06:04 PM

They just don't build them like they used too. Sounds like an air leak (low pressure in the line). Check for an air leak on the pressure line connection (from pump to engine). Possibly the connection didn't mate all the way, or some debris is allowing air to be vacumed in. End result; hope it isn't the motor. Did you seat the pump motor all the way? If it is not seated correctly, the efficiency will decrease. Why did you replace the motor? What symptoms?

Chris-bob 05-10-2011 06:05 PM

How is the pressure regulator?

discoveryjack 05-11-2011 03:00 PM

I replaced just the pump because it wouldn't start. So i checked the fuel relay (multi relay under hood) and checked the fuel cutoff switch and the fuel pump wiring harness. All had power so i took the pump out and the connectors had been scorched. Where is the fuel pressure regulator located at?

LRD2&ME 05-11-2011 06:07 PM

The connections on the pump was scorched; as in shorted out? The regulator can be found connected to the fuel injection rail (*top of engine) near the fire fall and under the throttle assembly.

jafir 05-11-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by LRD2&ME (Post 245116)
The connections on the pump was scorched; as in shorted out

Probably as in burned and crispy. My D1 pump looked like that. The wires inside the pump assembly that connect to the motor portion were black and crispy and one wasn't connected anymore.

discoveryjack 05-14-2011 09:43 AM

it starts right up when the engine is cold. but when its warm it takes awhile.

LRD2&ME 05-14-2011 10:07 AM

What are the RPM's llike when started cold? Are the RPM's High? What are the RPM's like when started warm? Are the RPM's low? Could possibly be the ECM. I had this same problem. When I changed out the ECM the problem went away.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 05-14-2011 11:52 AM

Have you read the fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail?

turf63 05-20-2011 03:14 PM

was there ever any resolution to this? I was having intermittent cold starting issues (turns right over when warm every time), and figured "fuel filters never been done, get after that" Change the fuel filter, now my truck has issues starting cold EVERY time. Im getting 28 @ the rail when it's running and when i shut it off, with the key in the on position the pressure drops to like 2 or 3 psi. Does this sound like air in the system to you guys or a pump? More probable that i should go back and check the fuel filter connections, or should i start shopping a pump?