Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Turn signal/marker mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Turn signal/marker mod

Another post rekindled my possible desire to turn the front turn signals into marker's as well.
BUT, I have some questions for hopefully someone who knows more about 12VDC systems than myself.

So the idea is to buy a couple of these and some pigtails.
Bulb Holder Dual Filament (XBP100190 Same Fit As Part # XBP100190 ) - Land Rover bulbs from Atlantic British Grab a dual filament bulb and wire it up. Basically tap into the existing side marker light and wire up the other filament.

Help me out here, will this work. Will my lights go crazy? Will the marker filament stay lit and the signal filament light up when the turn signal is applied? Will that even work?

Here's a super simple(and crappy) drawing of what I'm thinking. And I've attached a pic of basically the same thing.

Attached Thumbnails Turn signal/marker mod-markernoflash.gif  

Last edited by fishEH; 09-22-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Should work. However, your headlights are right next to the signals, always on when dark, and brighter.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Should work. However, your headlights are right next to the signals, always on when dark, and brighter.
True. Part of my desire to do this mod is because I'm removing and sealing off the holes for my City lights. Those damn holes always open up and the lights never end up working anyway. So my thought would be that when you turn the headlight stalk one click then the marker light in the turn signal lens would light up.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Fish I am gonna do this, you need the bulb holder and 3 wire pigtail that goes with it from range rover, they fit our lens

You should transfer the ground and + from current turn signal hooking the + to the high bright side of dual filament, then take the + from the marker and add to the low side of the new socket, the ground from the old side marker is just extra

IMO this should do it, if the signal flashes fast I guess can try a HD flasher?, when I do my rear bumper I plan to delete the bumper lights, I currently have a fast flash on the pass side from smashing the bumper

On my dodge truck I went to all led, started flashing fast just swapped in the HD flasher problem solved , don't know why it would not work the same on rover

Old 09-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Camel Trophy

Cool. I'm in too. Tillery gave me a quote but I'm gonna try Paul first, mainly just because I like him better. LOL. I already have the LED flasher from when I installed my rear bumper so I shouldn't see any fast flash.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Now if you are gonna add the power to the big lens plus keep the small side ones it may slow down cause you are adding resistance either way should be easy to sort out

Old 09-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Camel Trophy

BTW Tom, my adapters will be here Friday.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It should work same as a combined tail/brake light works.

Personally I like the city lights. When I originally replaced the stock bumper I moved my marker lights into the wing.

Attached Thumbnails Turn signal/marker mod-image.jpg  
Old 09-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Fish I expect any time this week

Buddy that's an idea, I was thinking similar
But using new led dually fender clearance lights, waterproof wiring and no draw

Old 09-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Camel Trophy

I actually like the City lights too. However for some reason the plastic/fiberglass hole for them in the headlight housing always seems to start breaking apart and the socketsbdont for right. I'm gonna pull the sockets and just silicone some blanks over the holes. Done.

Quick Reply: Turn signal/marker mod