Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Twin front shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Twin front shocks

Has anyone done the twin front shock set-up on their DiscoI? And if so, did you go with softer shocks or harder shocks? And why? Or is this an option that noone deems worthwhile? I would think someone has done it since they sell a kit. I am thinking that when I do my OME suspension, to get the HD kit and install the twin shock tower on the front with two OME medium or soft shocks on each front corner...thoughts?

Old 01-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about that myself. The bad thing is to to it properly you need a matched set of shocks made to run the dual setup. I personally think you're better off with a set of 7100 bilsteins, fox, or similar. I had run dual setup on my pickup and just put 4 regular shocks on after the ones that came in the kit went bad, the ride was horrible because the valving on the shocks werent set up for duals on the ones i went with.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you went with dual shocks, you would only run H.D shocks, otherwise what would you be buying them for.
In the case of a D1, once you have thrown $3000 to $4000 nto your trucks suspension, adding duals is a waste of money.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:25 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you went with dual shocks, you would only run H.D shocks, otherwise what would you be buying them for.
In the case of a D1, once you have thrown $3000 to $4000 nto your trucks suspension, adding duals is a waste of money.
How would you throw 3-4k into them? I see the OME HD lift for $750 and the dual shock tower kit for $250. That is all I would do.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Go to RTE and look into their optional parts required to get the most from a lift. If you are looking to make a killer truck, all those things should be addressed along with gears, axles and lockers, these are things that will make you truck a better climbing vehicle, without them, duals shocks are just for looks and will add nothing to the truck.
By the way, don't forget the $400 to $800 plus per axle to buy the shocks.
What actually have you done to your truck so far?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:03 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Go to RTE and look into their optional parts required to get the most from a lift. If you are looking to make a killer truck, all those things should be addressed along with gears, axles and lockers, these are things that will make you truck a better climbing vehicle, without them, duals shocks are just for looks and will add nothing to the truck.
By the way, don't forget the $400 to $800 plus per axle to buy the shocks.
What actually have you done to your truck so far?
Saved money for it is all so far. I don't like redundant work, so I try to buy multiple related items to install all at once. Right now, I can do a max ox 2-3 inches lift or the wife will make me sell the truck. And she won't let me get another. Says one is enough.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree with the statement that more shock will do nothing... I've raced SCORE and Best In The Dezert for years, and the shocks are all that keep a 2 wheel drive vehicle from self distructing in the rough stuff or getting stuck. Big shocks are great in desert racing do to the fact that at high speeds the shocks cycle also at a higher speed, inturn heating the oil to the point that you lose the intended valving. bigger shocks/more shocks + more oil = less heat and better performance.
now doing so to a LR is questionable. King can valve a set of shocks for your LR how ever you want... a 2'' non resivor would be fine, rebuildable, bullet proof...but they're spendy. The Sway-a-ways on my race truck run about 1500$a piece for the coil overs, 2gs a piece for the 3inch bypass shocks, and about 150$ a corner for the bump stops..... which reminds me, air bumps on a LR would be killer! .... Teraflex has a new synthetic bump stop similar to the air bumps that looks interesting. they're maintanence free.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Mudding

This is a really nice example of a nice suspension system...

Old 01-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Mudding

....I love that rig

Old 01-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Administrator

I agree, nice pictures. As for the guy in Alaska, throwing a set of dual shocks is waste on a lightly modified truck, especially where he is located. Now, that being said, yes I agree, dual shocks have their place when installed on a well built truck.

Quick Reply: Twin front shocks