Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Waterproof your ECU (PRODUCT)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great product recommendation. But I've been thinking of this waterproofing thing as well; what all needs to be waterproofed and to what extent?

-Fuse box in engine bay
-EVERYTHING behind the glove box
-Fuse box under the steering wheel

Isn't this just about all you absolutely have to do in order to go swimming?

Sorry to include another thread-worthy subject in this, just figured I'd save space.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't seal any fusebox. If a fuse blows you're f***ed. Compared to the ECM, if it fries, you'll be likely to replace the whole box.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For fuses, just take the time to pull the panel apart and use LOTS of dielectric grease. As for the ECM(and other modules), you could just waterproof the outside(case) so if you need to look inside for problems, you just have to remove some of the material. If you fill the case and insert the circuit boards and something happens, you will be cursing the day you heard of the stuff when you start trying to remove it. Especially if you need to remove it to re-solder a joint.

So if you encapsulate the housing, kinda like rhino lining the case, you wold be set. Then use dielectric grease liberally at every connection.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats the beauty of this, you should never have any solder breaks, moisture, static problems ETC. Plus the material is see -thru. You can tell if something burnt out because the epoxy material will yellow at that spot. Like my ECU now, I can't tell where it malfunctioned becouse there are no indicators. I like it and I'm going to use it. The ECU's are farely inexpensive and easy to find. Fuse panels, relays and CB's of course can not be treated. But everything else can be protected.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:11 PM
TReK

I've seen many a circuit board still burn up even when it had the epoxy/encapsulation on it. It may make it easier to spot a burnt/hot spot, but will only make repairs more difficult(unless you plan on replacing instead of repairing).

Just my $.00006887

Old 05-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Mudding

How many are experiencing failures this would prevent?

Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The ECU boards are a bit too complex for your basic mechanic. Replacing a component which you think may be bad is crazy. These type of boards were designed to be tossed and replaced with new.

For that question of how many are experiencing failures. I think it would be safe to say, if you have not had a problem yet then at least be prepared and protected.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:38 PM
TReK

My understanding is that the culprits tend to be cracks in solder joints or resistors, both of which can be repaired easily.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Mudding

It still seems like a great solution without a problem.

As for making a Discovery submersible, it makes sense to start with a diesel since the ignition is where you'll run into trouble underwater. From what I've seen the V8's will cross a puddle fine but for continuous running underwater, you'll probably want a diesel.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How's that affect the ignition on a gas?

Quick Reply: Waterproof your ECU (PRODUCT)