Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Wet carpet pad passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet carpet pad passenger side

Hello All

So I was doing some work looking for the amp behind the glove box. I found water in the pad/carpet when I was looking at the rig. I was told to remove the carpet and pad before but did not do it. But I removed the center console and it seems that the front carpet is attached in the center.

but the question is where would the water be coming from? I do not see any leaks any where under the pad. is it possible that the sun roof tube is leaking into he car, but it hasn't been raining in a week and the water seems really fresh.

any help would be appreciated

thanks
ed

Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

guessing heater core failure. Does it smell like anti-freeze?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Mudding

nah it is water and clear. I think it might be old rain water from when the sunroofs leaked. I like having the carpet and pad as it keeps the rig quiet. But just not sure of how to dry it all out besides pulling it all out and leaving it until summer. Portland is wet/cool 9 months out of the year lol

Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by errose2002
nah it is water and clear. I think it might be old rain water from when the sunroofs leaked. I like having the carpet and pad as it keeps the rig quiet. But just not sure of how to dry it all out besides pulling it all out and leaving it until summer. Portland is wet/cool 9 months out of the year lol
Consider yourself lucky. It's cool/wet 16 months out of the year here with our 14 feet of annual rain.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just bought mine in WA. both sunroofs leak. carpet is damp and musty. i carry a squeegee to wipe the condensation off of the INSIDE of the windows while i'm driving. good times. interior is probably coming out this weekend.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Use a hair drier, your best bet is to park it in a hated garage and leave the windows open, but otherwise you will need to use a hair drier.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:58 AM
Mudding

So I think I found the source of the leak. There is a small metal plate on the passenger floor board that has 3 bolt studs coming out of it. Well it just pulled right out and I could see water pushing through those 3 holes. I was running around in quite a few puddles and the water on the beach. The metal underneath that plate seems sort of weak too. I did not see any thing more then surface rust that wiped away when I rubbed with my towels. Plus I found a nest of little **** ants living under the mat.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those pads are like giant sponges and will stay wet forever. The best thing to do is remove them. Mine has a small black plate in both the passengers and drivers side floorpans. Looks like a factory patch or something stupid. Mine is rusty around there.

Land Rover used a lot of holes in various places as part of their manufacturing processes, then covered most with either a small square of cloth backed tape or a squirt of some kind of caulking type compound. When I removed my carpets I was amazed how many places there are for water intrusion.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also a lot of Discovery I's leaked around the windshield and mine also had a small dripping leak at the corner of the sunroof rails where the side and front pieces meet. There is a caulking seam there as well that started to drip on my 97.

I have some minor rust in the floor pans on each side and along the floor pan seams as well as the rear door arches on each side and a few rusted thru holes in the area around the Alpine windows. Those are irritating.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Common Cause

Check this thread out too. Could just be old, clogged drain lines for the A/C.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=32502

Quick Reply: Wet carpet pad passenger side