Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

what are you guys doing about lighting

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012 | 01:13 PM
|
Drifting
Default what are you guys doing about lighting

I have about had it with these candles LR call headlights.

what have you guys done to solve this.

is there an upgraded wiring harness with relays so you can run higher wattage bulbs direct from the battery.

i don't want to go the hid route just looking for suggestions thanks

Last edited by pkppunk; 08-07-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2012 | 01:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You may have faulty replacements or previous owner's attempt at replacing bulbs. I'm not sure about you, but my headlights are pretty damn good and they're still factory.

For the love, don't do H.I.Ds, they scream "There are illegal substances in my car!"

Old 08-07-2012 | 02:33 PM
Camel Trophy

IDK, my candles seem fine. You can get the Sylvania Ultra's but they're about $30+ on sale. If the low beams don't cut it I throw on the Hi beams. If those don't cut it I light up the Hella 4000 Cornering beams.

Old 08-07-2012 | 03:55 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by pkppunk
I have about had it with these candles LR call headlights.
i think something is wrong with your headlights.

you might want to make sure your bulbs are getting at least 12v with the truck running...

as others have also said, my headlights are fine. the highbeams in these things are great

Old 08-07-2012 | 06:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by honda50r
You may have faulty replacements or previous owner's attempt at replacing bulbs. I'm not sure about you, but my headlights are pretty damn good and they're still factory.

For the love, don't do H.I.Ds, they scream "There are illegal substances in my car!"
Yeah, minus the many people I know with HIDs who instead have a badge and a gun in the car. Me included.

Old 08-07-2012 | 08:46 PM
Team Owner

I have Phillips Xtra Vision bulbs in my truck, I swear by them, I can see just fine is any weather.

Old 08-08-2012 | 12:10 AM
Pro Wrench

There are a few options for brighter halogens now. The newest ones use a dichromatic HIR coating to produce much more light with the same energy.

Philips - X-tremeVision Automotive headlighting lamp H4 12V 55W - 12342XVB1 - Headlights - Car lamps - Lighting

That's merely one option.

Yes there's an upgraded headlight harness:
Series Land Rover Accessories

HID are illegal, but when fitted well using a high quality kit can work very well.

The Morimoto Mini Bi-Xenon D2S from TRS is the best D1 HID option IMHO. It's much higher quality than any other kit I've found, and easy to install. Leveling the lights is very important to prevent blinding other drivers.
Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Old 08-08-2012 | 04:00 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
There are a few options for brighter halogens now. The newest ones use a dichromatic HIR coating to produce much more light with the same energy.

Philips - X-tremeVision Automotive headlighting lamp H4 12V 55W - 12342XVB1 - Headlights - Car lamps - Lighting

That's merely one option.

Yes there's an upgraded headlight harness:
Series Land Rover Accessories

HID are illegal, but when fitted well using a high quality kit can work very well.

The Morimoto Mini Bi-Xenon D2S from TRS is the best D1 HID option IMHO. It's much higher quality than any other kit I've found, and easy to install. Leveling the lights is very important to prevent blinding other drivers.
Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

THanks for the help guys i guess the eggs on my face i pulled open the head lights and say the PO put some cheapo bulbs in. With that said i have had great luck with using HELLA uprated wattage bulbs with an upgraded harness in the past with my jeeps. seeing how the bublbs are the same price as any of the higher end ones that where suggested on here i think im going that route.

Lastly in my testing things out last night and another reasone for going with an upgraded harness i found out my lights are only getting just above 11 volts anyone have a clue to the reason or is it just crappy british wiring thats creating the bottle neck.

Alternator is only a year old as well as the battery PO gave me the reciepts and i am gettign 13.8 volts at idle. with my tester

Old 08-08-2012 | 04:09 PM
Winching

do the headlight connectors look corroded?
id get the resistance to ground between the connector and the battery, and start there.

most of the time low light output is due to old corroded connectors or poor grounding

Old 08-08-2012 | 05:09 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
do the headlight connectors look corroded?
id get the resistance to ground between the connector and the battery, and start there.

most of the time low light output is due to old corroded connectors or poor grounding

THe city lights were very corroded but the head light sockets looked to be in good shape.

I got the city light sockets cleaned up with soem electrical connection cleaner and did a quick shot to the head light sockets.

Ill check the resistance to ground tonight

Quick Reply: what are you guys doing about lighting