Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Wheelin! (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
So are you saying RTE or some nice long custom dom links with Johnny joints? I'm leaning towards building a set...or at least enlisting my buddies skills in building a set
Either one would be a good option. I'm not sure you need Johnny Joints with a 12" shock to take full advantage of them. And I think anything more than a 12" shock and you'll be cutting into the floor for a custom mount. But if youj're buddy has the skills and the time, why not go Johnny Jointed rear links? You'de probably come out money ahead or at least break even compared to buying RTE's.
I have Rover Tracks trailing arms and they are working pretty well for me. I need to figure out now if my limiting factor in axle droop is shock length or bushing bind where the trailing arm meets the chasis.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Soooo let me know if you feel like hooking a brother up.

Jake, I'm interested in your Poly bumps when you upgrade.
Probably wont be for a while but I'll keep it in mind. You're on my "first dibs" on anything I take off my truck already

Old 07-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by fishEH
Either one would be a good option. I'm not sure you need Johnny Joints with a 12" shock to take full advantage of them. And I think anything more than a 12" shock and you'll be cutting into the floor for a custom mount. But if youj're buddy has the skills and the time, why not go Johnny Jointed rear links? You'de probably come out money ahead or at least break even compared to buying RTE's.
I have Rover Tracks trailing arms and they are working pretty well for me. I need to figure out now if my limiting factor in axle droop is shock length or bushing bind where the trailing arm meets the chasis.

I am pretty sure I dont get all 12" droop out of my shocks because of bushing bind and a-arm ball joint bind. I have my truck set up for about 4" up travel front and rear so it's a lot of down travel...

Here's what it looks like - I drove the wrong direction off this ledge - couldnt tell where I was going almost laid it on it's side.

Remember the more flex you have in the rear the more you will want in the front especially with a full bodied disco. once I played on the 12" set up on 32's and radius arms I posted before I decided the front was holding me back more than getting the extra 3-4" of rear shock travel.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Pro Wrench

Well ill probably mock up my rte upper mounts and get some measurements and get some shocks ordered. Once I get that taken care of ill work on getting some links made. Then move the party to the front axle. Jake can you email me some pics of your 3 link. May see how feasable fabbing up a 3 link. Ianbock3@gmail.com

Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CUpgt
Well ill probably mock up my rte upper mounts and get some measurements and get some shocks ordered. Once I get that taken care of ill work on getting some links made. Then move the party to the front axle. Jake can you email me some pics of your 3 link. May see how feasable fabbing up a 3 link. Ianbock3@gmail.com
Rancho Shock Guide

RS9012's are popular.. Obviously if you're staying with 2" it may be hard to fit them and not bottom out.

I'll send you over some pics of the 3-link once I get moved and settled

Old 07-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Pro Wrench

Planning on 3" Rte springs