Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

whining disco 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:51 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disco whine

g,day, yea i knew it was never cv or swivel noise, cause it made it before and after i rebuilt the swivel pin housings and fitted new cv's at the same time. i also use one shot swivel housing grease in all my landy,s instead of gear oil, anyway, i ended up trying cutting the engine a few more times, only to find it was,nt stopping the noise as i previously thought, its one of those things were you can,t quite put your finger on it, but to let everyone know i have solved the issue ,it was not one but both diff centres, ( just my luck) took it to a good mech the next town over and he found the fault straight away, so 2 recon diff centre's later at $500 each, and i,m running silent, lol. thanks to everyone for their input, it was very helpful. i,ll start a new post soon on my defender race truck project once i get some photos, i have just built a 3.9 v8 stroked to 5lt, very high lift solid cam ,roller rockers, etc etc, with a hand built custom mainfold (its good to have mates,lol thanks matty) , that will be running twin carby style toyota superchargers with a 650 dp holley mounted on each, with a hope of pumping 15psi, , so hopfully should go a bit harder than the old diesel that was in it, lol, still early stages yet though. i,ll put some pics of the donk with the pumps fitted in the next couple of days.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Thank you for reporting back Rick.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said I would follow up...

The silver bullet was a rear pinion bearing. To make it solid, driving at speed the whine got louder until wind/engine noise covered it up. Hold the RPMs even with the speed so there was no stress and the sound went away. Transmission shifts down and the noise increases/grinds down to a stop.

Originally Posted by SenatorPerry
Just to follow up,

I had the transfer case changed on Friday. As I suspected, the grease was thin to the point that the mechanics suspected it had motor oil in it. We changed it and I went driving for an hour or so.

It is obvious that the grease change made a difference in driving, but it was not the silver bullet with my noise. At this point I am running out of moving parts to change. My next option is to get the wheel bearings repacked. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Done so far:
Rear drive Shaft
New tires
Brakes/rotors all around
Relube front/rear diff and transfer case
New Alternator
New pulley/tensioner
New AC Compressor
New Water Pump.

There are no OBDII error codes. Noise gets louder as the vehicle moves faster. Putting the engine in neutral at speed the noise still exists. I plan on an alignment after Christmas.