Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Window Stuck Down

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Stuck Down

So when i bought my Rover I was told the drivers side rear window didn't work. Well now that it has warmed up some and I completely forgot about it I decided to roll down all the windows.

Ooops,

So the rear drivers side window went down about halfway and now won't go up. It doesn't seem to make any noises or anything, I haven't had a real chance to check it out, but I wondered if this is a common problem, and if so what is the fix?

Help is appreciated!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Does the passenger side rear window work or do you have no functionality to either when it doesn't work? Does it work intermittently or not at all?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My money is on one of the "rollers" broken. They are cheap plastic and a common issue. It takes all of about 3 minutes to remove the door panel and take a peek. The pass one on my white one just did the same thing. There are some work around fixes on the board using spare parts from a hardware screen door kit etc. I think someone even sells stainless steel replacements. You can get the window back up for now by removing the door panel and using a screwdriver, get the window track to start it's way back up. Then, disconnect the window switch till you get it fixed.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

discoweb.org has a good right up in their tech section titled Rear Window Regulator. I used it to repair both of my rear windows which broke within a week of buying the truck. Only cost me about $2 and a couple hours of my time.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Drifting

All the rest of the windows work fine, this window goes down but not up. I will have to take a look at it.

The motor makes no noise when i push the buttons on either the door or the center console, so that's why i was wondering if it was something else? It seems like it would at least try to roll up the window.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

could be switch, if it only works one way. try swapping with another?

EDIT: I just noticed that it was the rear... and neither switch works. Maybe something else then

Last edited by jafir; 05-16-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: didn't read close enough
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try taking a look at your window lift ECU..sometimes shorts out and causes this issue where the windows won't go up or down..intermittent or regularly happening. It does strange things.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Couldn't he jump the connection to test it quicker? Wouldn't that be easier than pulling the board?

Old 05-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Drifting

How would I jump the connection?

And is the window "computer" for lack of better terms, located in the door? or is there a central unit for it?

I know in my car there is one module that controls all of the windows ... but I have no idea on this thing.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yup. it's in your passenger front footwell, its the one with the two harnesses coming out of it, the box in the middle you cna actually get to it by flipping your glove box all the way down. it's right behind it.

Name:  1f087673.jpg
Views: 11669
Size:  95.1 KB

the bottom harness of the two with the white wire and the purple wire coming out of the top of the harness left to right respectively (pardon my color interpretation im color blind) it has a larger gauge green wire going out of one and into the other. this green wire jumps the solder point that could go bad in your window ecu

Wedge a paper clip in there good, you might hear a click. See if that helps you at all

Quick Reply: Window Stuck Down