Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

WTF... start up problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF... start up problem

Drove the truck, 96 disco SE, to run a few errands, 40 miles or so, and now it won't start up. It ran perfect the whole time, has a almost full tank (yes premium). I had parked it and fired it back up at least 3 times and then got back home, went inside and came back 15 mins later and it wont start. It has a good battery, new bosch +4's and new wires.
I have power, (windows radio), and I can hear the pumps humming. I even tried to jump it with a silverado to make sure I was getting enough juice. I am getting no turn over, or clicking.
I let it cool off to almost cold and still have the same issue. I'm thinking starter, or ignition, but have no idea. Anybody have any thoughts? I read the other current posts about start issues, and didn't think this was the same prob.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

could be anything. I had a similar problem with my 4runner. After fixing my starter 60$ and then buying a new one 100$ it was a .99$ battery cable clamp. LOOKED PERFECTLY FINE.

Try jumping PAST the clamps stright to the wires.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Redo the ground terminations to the frame at both the starter and replace the battery ground cable. Reterminate it to a clean spot on the frame. (Abrade frame to bare metal, install with self drilling bolts.

Major difference and cheap to do.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:41 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

It is possible you may have a crank sensor starting to fail, real common on D2's, not so common on D1's but it does happen.
When they start to go, you can have stalling issues or the more common issue of not wanting to start, although the engine turns over well, until the engine/crank sensor cools off. When failing, it will turn of the coils and or the fuel pump.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Move your shifter to neutral and try it. Move it all around and try it.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Mudding

Check all the fuses under the dash and under the hood.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Overlanding

WTF day two. So yesterday, before I just let it sit all night I jiggled the leads of the battery (moved the entire battery around too) had it in neutral, hood up/down, brake pressed/not depressed, rolled the entire truck like a foot forward and back, checked fuses, jiggled the whole thing (just for ****s and grins...and to refrain from shooting it). I turned the key after each "fix" 1.5-2 hours of f*cking around w/ it, and still nothing at all when I turn the key.

So this morning it starts up like there was no problem at all. I rive it for like 5-7 mins around the block and get home w/ no issues at all. Fire it back up like 10 mins later and no probs, off and on 3-4 more times while doing random stuff around the farm and no probs. So like a jack *** I drive it to go get chow in town...its now looking awsome in the parking lot of the burrito place. It won't turn over just like yesterday.

Once again, I have power in the truck (windows go up, locks, lights work, pumps start up) but when I rotate the key to crank the engine, there is no sound at all. no turn over...or click... or meow (super messy)...or noise at all. So it does this when its been driven and warm. I'm going to go try it in a few hours. I'm thinking its an issue with the wiring to the starter or ignition, or something that heats up with the engine and then wont complete its circut. Dunno, super agrivating though.

Last edited by Zeus; 09-30-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: forgot to add that
Old 09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just jiggle it like J Lo

When you say you "jiggled" ( I love that word) all the battery leads... did you also perform a continuity check for all cables on the starter and Solenoid?

Like danny said check those connections. they tend to get the most corrosive, nasty crap road spray and are the esaiest things to repair... you could even do that at the taco joint...

by the way, if you had gone out for tea and scones the rover would not have died.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Overlanding

LMFAO about the tea and scones, I'll have to throw some earl grey in the gear box.

Ok so I just went and recovered the Rover before it became a billboard for the burrito place. It didnt want to start the first two key turns, no sound again...so after a few choice words for the electrical engineers that designed it, I shfted into neutral and it barley managed a turn or two then sputtered to life, ran a slight bit shakey on the way home and is now a driveway decoration untilI get the thing figgured out.

I'm going to check those connections, as that seems to be the logical progression(hmmm logical never seems to work).

Oh and "jiggled" is a technical, and USMC approved, term for: shake the living sh*t out of it.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How ARE YOU GOING TO CHECK THEM, JUST GO AHEAD AND REDO THEM THEN SAY THANKS. Not to be an ***, but I went thru exactly what you are talking about but I did not have to abandon it.

After redoing new ground connections, problem has not resurfaced. It's cheap, It's easy and until you do, you just won't know. Just an old Aviation Electrician's Mate remembering the basic's from way back. It's much better than sitting there being embarassesd when it won't do anything when you turn the key.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 09-30-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: WTF... start up problem