Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Yankee Hill and PS leak!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yankee Hill and PS leak!

Went up to Yankee Hill this past Sunday. Not a very difficult trail unless you add 3-4 inches of heavy wet snow, fog and spring a high pressure power steering leak. Looked like I killed someone with my truck and dragged them all over the mountian.

Anyway.. here are some pics:
Name:  DSCN0785.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  52.1 KB
Name:  DSCN0759.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  88.4 KB
Name:  DSCN0763.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  44.2 KB

And some fun in a big mud puddle:
Name:  DSCN0778.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  22.5 KB
Name:  100_5400.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  23.6 KB
Name:  DSCN0779.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  28.5 KB

Old 05-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you see where the leak is coming from? It seems like everyone has a leak with their ps. I know mine is leaking too. I do not feel like rebuilding it and a new one is so unbelievably expensive.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Mine was obvious, high pressure line from the steering box to the pump. Puking from the pressure fitting. This is the part:
Power Steering Hose - Pump To Box - Find Belts, Hoses & Other Land Rover Parts at Roverparts.com

Only I bought it locally for $38 without shipping, Exact same part. AB still is too expensive for my tastes.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
Mine was obvious, high pressure line from the steering box to the pump. Puking from the pressure fitting. This is the part:
Power Steering Hose - Pump To Box - Find Belts, Hoses & Other Land Rover Parts at Roverparts.com

Only I bought it locally for $38 without shipping, Exact same part. AB still is too expensive for my tastes.

That looks like a good deal. I know of az place in Pittsburgh that will build replacement hydraulic lines and such, but I doubt you can beat that price for an exact fit replacement.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh yeah, I love the pictures, especially the ones of you splashing thru the muddle puddle. Great photo with the mud spray caught in mid air. Talk about splatter patterns. That is exactly how I like to hit it. Good Demonstration of using MOMENTUM. Gotta keep that MOJO WORKING.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Danny! One thing I learned early on is never stop in the middle of a big mud puddle or stream.

I replaced my high pressure power steering line in the rain last night. If anyone else has this problem. Try and wait until the weather is dry. It sucked.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Danny! One thing I learned early on is never stop in the middle of a big mud puddle or stream.

I replaced my high pressure power steering line in the rain last night. If anyone else has this problem. Try and wait until the weather is dry. It sucked.

Does it still leak or did replacing the hose take care of everything? If in a worse case scenario your ps gearbox **** the bed then I would highly recommend purchasing a used one for cheap off eBay! I just replaced mine with one and I only paid $200!!! So far not one ps leak. If your interested ill forward you to the seller I went through.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Where did you buy it from? Locally I mean.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ShadowMerchantBC
Does it still leak or did replacing the hose take care of everything? If in a worse case scenario your ps gearbox **** the bed then I would highly recommend purchasing a used one for cheap off eBay! I just replaced mine with one and I only paid $200!!! So far not one ps leak. If your interested ill forward you to the seller I went through.
It does appear to be fixed for now. No additional leaking. I would however like to get that information anyway. Never know when the box will die and would rather have that info than not.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
Where did you buy it from? Locally I mean.
Import Car Parts

http://www.icpcolorado.com

Keep in mind they are currently switching hosts for their website so the site is currently down but will be up soon.

I get a discount being in the industry but I have never seen them turn away a sale.

Quick Reply: Yankee Hill and PS leak!