Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***Bosch Iridium Spark Plug facts please***

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ***Bosch Iridium Spark Plug facts please***

***Bosch Iridium Spark Plug facts please*** in the rover? I am not trying to correct anything with these just want your knowledge if you know facts. Will they provide any benefits or harm?

Old 09-22-2012, 07:12 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Did the rover come from the factory with those plugs???

Oh, no it did not??

There is your answer...

There is a reason people put gold plating onto steel.
To make it "worth" more and sell it for more..

But, maybe I am swayed by this article:

Q. Where does Iridium come from?
A. Fifty million years ago, an asteroid composed almost entirely of the precious metal Iridium (Ir-77) struck the earth, creating the Gulf of Mexico. The resulting dust cloud destroyed most living things and ended the dinosaurs reign on earth. Click here for more information.

Q. Why was Iridium not used until today?
A. The extreme strength of the metal inhibited its large-scale usage in spark plugs. However, through recent technological advances, DENSO has harnessed the power of Iridium. DENSO?s patented alloy is composed of iridium, complimented by rhodium (an even stronger metal). The rhodium is added to increase oxidation and wear resistance. DENSO was able to make this durable alloy workable by pioneering and patenting a Laser-Welding/process. This process provides a 360-degree weld so reliable that the electrode resists wear, even in the harshest conditions.

Q. What makes Iridium better?
A. Until recently, platinum was considered the best material to use on the top of an electrode because of its durability. However, Iridium is 6 times harder, 8 times stronger, and has a melting point 1200 degrees higher than platinum. Put that into a harsh environment such as an engine piston chamber, and you have a spark plug that can resist wear much better than platinum. Additionally, the DENSO Iridium Power alloy is so durable; it allowed our engineers to produce the world?s smallest center electrode (.4mm) which reduces the voltage requirements, concentrating its sparking power. Also, its smaller size, combined with the tapered U-Groove ground electrode, allows more room for the flame kernel to develop and produce a more efficient combustion.

Q. How long will Iridium Last?
A. Iridium use represents the most significant technological advance in automotive spark plug manufacturing, since platinum was introduced in the early eighties. As vehicle manufacturers produce increasingly complex and efficient automobiles, there is a greater need for long-life plugs that can tolerate leaner fuel mixtures and improved combustion processes. DENSO has responded to this need by developing its Iridium alloy, originally for OE applications. For example, many newer Lexus? and Toyota models carry an ultra long-life Iridium plug variation (.7mm with platinum tipped ground) that is capable of up to 120,000 miles of service. DENSO Iridium Power plugs, with their .4mm center electrode, have been developed for performance applications. Because gradual wear will ?round-off? firing points over time, the concentrated firing power and voltage requirement benefits will be reduced. For this reason, DENSO advises replacement after 30,000 miles.

Q. Why is the U-Groove special?
A. The patented U-Groove allows the flame kernel to fill the gap formed by the U. This ball of fire develops a larger and hotter flash front a complete combustion. The flat ground electrode design of ordinary spark plugs crush the spark, inhibiting its growth; this effect is known as a ?quenching effect.? The simple, but efficient, U-Groove feature results in better fuel efficiency, improved throttle response, and greater firing energy.

Q. Why are there different heat ranges? Which one should I use?
A. Part of your spark plug?s responsibilities, in addition to firing a spark, is to remove heat from the combustion chamber. This is accomplished by channeling the heat through the insulator material and metal housing. From there, the heat is transferred to the cylinder head where the engine cooling system can go to work. A spark plug?s heat range is its ability to dissipate heat. The ?colder? the plug, the more heat it can channel out of the combustion chamber. In a performance application, colder heat ranges may be necessary to handle the extreme temperatures brought on by higher compression ratios, forced induction, and high RPM?s. While ?Colder? plugs may seem to be the way to go, please remember that the spark plug must achieve its ?self-cleaning? temperature where it can burn off fuel and carbon deposits. Otherwise, the plug could ?foul out? where it is prone to misfiring and poor acceleration. A plug that is too ?hot? can overheat, also causing power loss, detonation, pre-ignition, and possible engine damage. A good, general rule of thumb is to start with the factory recommended heat range. For every 75 to 100 hp you add to your engine, you may go to the next colder step. DENSO heat ranges move up as they get colder; 16 would be our hottest Iridium Power plug, 34 would be our coldest (ranges; 16,20,22,24,27,31,34)

Q. What torque recommendations do you give for the Iridium plugs?
A. Improper installation may cause poor performance and could result in costly engine damage. Click here for a table listing torque recommendations for the DENSO Iridium Power spark plugs.

Q. Do I need to set the gap?
A. Generally, no. The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration. DENSO Iridium Power?s ultra-efficient firing power compensates for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value. In the cases of vehicle modifications (nitrous, turbo-chargers, super-chargers, high power ignition systems, etc.), some adjustments may be desired. Or, if you prefer to remain consistent with factory specifications, you may adjust. However, please be careful not to place any stress on the fine center electrode during adjustment. You could accidentally break off the very hard, and therefore brittle, tip.

Q. What vehicle applications are covered?
A. DENSO Iridium Power spark plugs were initially introduced for popular import applications such as Toyota, Honda, Acura, Mitsubishi, and others. However, since our product launch, we have added spark plugs that fit popular ?Big Three? makes such as General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler. Currently, DENSO Iridium Power offers nearly full coverage for all passenger cars, light trucks, and vans. Soon, we will be launching plugs that will fit most motorcycle and powersports applications.

Q. What kind of performance will I get from this plug?
A. Generally, you do not purchase spark plugs for performance enhancement. While DENSO Iridium Power spark plugs have contributed to numerous accomplishments through dyno-testing and actual use, their true benefit lies in their efficiency, durability, and improved firing power. Serious tuners modify their vehicles by increasing boost through turbo-chargers, super-chargers, and Nitrous. They are also known to add high-energy ignition systems, tinker with timing, adjust fuel mixture ratios, and increase horsepower through other means. Putting these kinds of demands on their engine increases the need for an efficient, durable spark plug that can handle these kind of harsh environments. That?s where DENSO Iridium Power can make a major difference.

Q. Where can I buy DENSO Iridium Power Spark Plugs?
A. Click here to find a dealer in your area.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bosch Iridium plug #9652 is recommended for 4.0L DII, which means it has been tested in that vehicle. I am currently running Bosch plugs with good results.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I have run both the Plus 4's, #4418 and the Irudiums from Bosch and the Plus 4 did generate more low end power, the 4418s were still good when I removed them with 80,000 plus miles on them.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have ran AutoLite Iridium's and they did not last a year.
Bosch is a better brand.
I prefer to run NGK Copper plugs, no use spending a ton of money on a old inefficient engine.
Iridium plugs should last forever.
My wifes Sedona came from the factory with them and there is no service recommendation for them, just run them until they go bad then replace them.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks alot guys I got them as a gift and figured I would ask what's known! I have not made my mind up yet about putting them in yet? As said I am not trying to change anything with it i believe i may have old faithful here:-) big huge frickin smiley! Its so clean, so sound and just roars when I turn that key. Drive my truck short distances every day and sometimes I even venture out of this funny farm too!!! Yayyyy & when i want to go as far away as possible i can always count on my rover.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm running NGK Iridium's (they came with the truck), so far they've done me well.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

They'll be fine. They won't suffer the wear-induced performance drop-off that a standard copper plug will because iridium wears much slower.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jfall
Did the rover come from the factory with those plugs???

Oh, no it did not??

There is your answer...

That's right... nothing should be used unless it came on a vehicle from the factory. Ridiculous.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Quick Reply: ***Bosch Iridium Spark Plug facts please***