Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Looking to buy (2) Discos*

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to think about teh seat configuration between the D1 and D1 as well, some people do not like the side ways seats in the back. I prefer the D1 for the ease of maintenance but a lot of people like the body style of the D2.

In regards to off road, if you are planning on doing a bunch of rocks and extreme stuff then definately the D1 and make it the second vehicle. If you do family camping and back country exploring then a good kitted out D1 or D2 will get the job done and you can get by with one vehicle for that.

In my opinion, I always have three vehicles, that way when one breaks down it can sit for a month if needed before I get around to fixing it.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chris143007
Thanks for the update.
3. Is there a '99 D1? Or am I looking at '97 or '98 as someone suggested to get a less 'electronic' Disco?
The early '99 models are D1s and mid-year the D2 came out. As others have mentioned, if you plan to use the rear seats often, you really want to consider the side facing seats in the D1 where you look at each other vs. the front facing seats that come in the D2s. Also, getting into the 2nd row of seats is no treat in either model for adults, especially if they are over-sized or have any physical limitations, and seating 3 adults in that 2nd row seat is snug. Back seats are strictly for kids.

The other item of interest for your off-roading would be CDL, that is in the D1, but not in all D2's, but is in the '04 model year, and many say this is the best year of the D2, LR brought the CDL back for the '04 year. Stay away from '03 unless you do you homework on the VIN number range that had the oil pump issue.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Rover Hokie...

Yes, I've read about the basic differences between d1 and d2, just wasn't sure how to tell a 99 d1 from a 99 d2...

I haven't posted another vehicle for feedback because I haven't come across anything to consider yet.

Looks like I'm still leaning toward a 97-99 d1 and 04 d2. I have autocheck and had carfax, but it expired. Can I call any LR dealer and get any service history on a VIN I provide them?

Oh, one other item...there is a used car dealer I spoke to earlier today...the lady said they offer a 1 year powertrain warranty for free. Any thoughts about this? Seems to me this is a big incentive...

Old 01-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

easiest way is to look at the tailights and the badge. there is a badge on the back of the truck that will identify it. the tail lights on a D2 are up high and larger the D1 are smaller and nearer the bumper.

yes you can get service history with a VIN.

drivetrain warranty is a big deal especially if you need the front drive shaft replaced if you buy an 04 D2... that will save you $300.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi all,

I've come across another vehicle for you all to provide feedback if you would...

http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/1519454500.html

Seller says he's done no extra servicing besides regular maintenance...it looks clean, but still a little bit more than I'd like to pay. I think he mentioned he has all service records.

I have another question folks- what's the strategy for a vehicle like this with 66k and the driveshaft, etc? Should the plan be to replace certain parts as soon as you buy a Disco, or do something else?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris143007

Seller says he's done no extra servicing besides regular maintenance...it looks clean, but still a little bit more than I'd like to pay. I think he mentioned he has all service records.

I have another question folks- what's the strategy for a vehicle like this with 66k and the driveshaft, etc? Should the plan be to replace certain parts as soon as you buy a Disco, or do something else?
No extra servicing + 66,000 miles = be ready to have the head gaskets done. I would plan on doing the drive shaft asap.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Three Wheeling

I guess that's my questions Wolkesan...

"have the head gaskets done"...is that something you do pre-emptively? How much is that?

I'm getting a bit frustrated by the fact that it seems like the conventional thought - 'buy a vehicle with lower miles' - is not the right way to think in this Disco search case...

Old 01-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Head gaskets commonly go out around that mileage. Once replaced, they are fine. Look for the 60K service on here. Plan on doing it to whatever truck you get, regardless of miles or history. Also plan on re-building the front driveshaft if it does not have grease points on it. Keep $1500 in the back of your head for head gaskets. Plan on doing them so when and if it comes up, you are prepared. If they are fine, think of all of that interest in savings

Old 01-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Three Wheeling

So...replacing the head gasket before it goes bad is the same as replacing it after it goes bad? Same cost, etc.?

Also, can someone answer the question I had about the conventional thought of buying a vehicle with lower miles, etc.?

It seems more like I should look for a vehicle that has had the head gasket changed already...

Old 01-15-2010, 05:34 PM
Three Wheeling

So, folks, it seems like I should keep looking for a vehicle that has had items like the head gasket changed already...

Also, is it the same cost to change a head gasket before it goes bad?

I guess I'm getting a bit frustrated that I come across a vehicle that looks decent, but it's near the 'mileage' that things go wrong...so it's causing me to not pull the trigger...

Quick Reply: *Looking to buy (2) Discos*