Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Disco at Denver Auction *@#%*

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:19 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Disco at Denver Auction *@#%*

Hello all, I bid on a beautiful 01 Disco II at a Denver auction last Friday. I was not there but had an agent in my behalf. Pre-insp by the agent looked very good save the front drive line sitting in the back that no one told me about. But I paid the $100.00 post-inspection guarantee for the "GREEN LIGHT CAR" after I won the bid. Post-insp showed only a hair line crack in the trans case. I asked if any dash warning lights were on, they said no. I asked if they checked the codes anyway, they said no. I asked if they would and they found 14! I asked them to look at the dash for burnt out lites and they found the bulbs were missing! I told them that the crack in the Tcase could have been caused by a failed front drive shaft and thats when they said "thats prob why its in the backseat"!
So, I am not buying this Disco due to the fact that the owner was trying to hide what was wrong with it and who knows what else . On to the LV Auction this Thurs.
I want to thank all of you on this Forum, I would not have known what to look for if you have not have taken the time to post the facts.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trans case isn't always a deal breaker. When doing the first oil change on my Disco II after buying it earlier this year (105k miles), I discovered someone had put in a brand new front (OEM) driveshaft. What else did I find? All the carnage from a recently failed one-- dented floorpan, ding in cat. converter, and a welded up tranny! Hasn't ever leaked fluid and runs like a top. So with a decent repair, you can salvage the tranny if it's not too bad.

Sounds like you're not so lucky in all the other areas on that particular Disco though... 14 codes, that would sure be a headache to sort out! I bet it's been driven on a bad headgasket to the very last mile.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi DocHargis, I am always dubious of auctions. I ask myself "why has this person not sold through a dealer or privately" - what's the reason?

Yep, sometimes you can pick up a bargain at auction but mostly mainstream ex hire or company cars. 4x4's are different, there's a lot more to know about and also more to go wrong. In a lot of cases it needs specific make or model knowledge to adequately inspect and vet these trucks as a cursory look over doesn't ever reveal the real 'hidden' issues. Fortunately you escaped without having to cough up big $$$$$ this time.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome to the forum Doc. I'm glade you didn't buy that lemon at the auction. The search for a good Discovery with a solid base to build from can be difficult and long, but they are out there to be found. Better luck next time and I hope to see you around the forum upgrading your new Land Rover soon.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:51 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the Welcome all.
I am after my dream 4x4, the D2. I have had many other brands but I made the mistake in driving one and now I am hooked. I joined this site to learn from the best. So far so good. That was my 5th DiscoII I looked at but I am not giving up till there is one in the driveway.
When she arrives I will ready her for and outing here in So. Utah to work out the bugs. Till then its Read, Read & read some more. Thanks again, All the Best Michael