Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 vs. 03

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 vs. 03

are there big differences between these two models, for someone like myself who will only be using the truck for around town and beach excursions, kayaking etc...no real off-roading...exterior and interior the same?? im just wondering if i should save some money and go for an 02 SD rather than an 03-04...advice? thanks

Old 04-09-2009, 06:27 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay away from the 03, period. They had a bad batch of engine that the only way to fix once the oil pump fails is replace the engine. So the question is 02 or 04. 04 all the way. It has the bigger engine, new style headlights and center differential lock. It's not worth saving money by sacrificing features you'll want later on.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you are not needing the extra traction of an eariler D2 or a 04 then lean towards a 02. Many of the 03, although they have the 4.6 engine also had major engine failures because of the oil pump failing.
If you go for a 03 make sure it the vinn is not on Rovers list for potential engine issues.
If you find a vehicle, get back to us and leus know what you find and the price.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Disco mike-

in regards to the oil pump issue...i spoke with a LR Mechanic from the Boston dealership (whom I consider to be trustworthy) who said that if the oil pump is going to be an issue you will see it in the 1st 10-15k miles, the latest being 20k that he has ever seen it...any thoughts on this?...i see so many 03's with over 50k miles and wonder if it is saf eto snag one these...

Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by seamuspg
Disco mike-

in regards to the oil pump issue...i spoke with a LR Mechanic from the Boston dealership (whom I consider to be trustworthy) who said that if the oil pump is going to be an issue you will see it in the 1st 10-15k miles, the latest being 20k that he has ever seen it...any thoughts on this?...i see so many 03's with over 50k miles and wonder if it is saf eto snag one these...
This guy is totally wrong, the oil pumps fail 40-50k, once it does you can replace the oil pump and engine front cover but that will only buy you another 40-50 thousand miles and will cost you almost $2,000 to do.
We have seen many oil pump failures on here and this was the range that they all went bad at, one or two almost 60,000 miles but that is very rare.
Save your money and get the '02.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by seamuspg
Disco mike-

Sounds like the kind of answer someone trying to sell the vehicle. Every case of the oil pump failing I have heard about has been in the 50K-75K range. Not all 03s were effected by the bad engines which explains why so many have over 50K on the clock. With a 03 it's a pay your money, take your chances deal. You could drive it for the next 50 years with no problem or the pump could fail tomorrow destroying the engine.

If you find a 03 that you're interested check the VIN against the bad engine VIN range. Keep in mind that is a generality. Some trucks in that range go forever with no problem while trucks outside the range die because of the oil pump. Get as much maintenance history as you can with any vehicle but that is especially important with a 03.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

They can fail at any mileage so even if you may trust this guy, he is giving you bad information that can cost you down the road.
As a test, have him sign a contract with you stating that if the oil pump fails, he will replace your engine at no cost to you, then you'll see the real side of this issue pop up.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:16 PM
TReK

To justify buying an 03 the seller needs to be practically giving it away and you have an additional $10,000 sitting in the bank for when the oil pump fail and takes out the engine.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Even if I had this extra 10 grand sitting in the bank, I would not want to be living on pins and needles owning an 03 and wondering when it might go bad. You could be hundreds of miles from home and experience the failure. I just wouldn't want the stress of not being able to trust what I was driving. Every little sound would drive me up the wall. Spend a little extra and get an 04. Have piece of mind and get probably the best Disco ever made.