Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 or 04 Chipped?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 or 04 Chipped?

Does anyone have experience with an aftermarket chip on an 03 or 04 Disco?

Please share.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: 03 or 04 Chipped?

There are no aftermarket chips for Rovers. You can remove your ECU and send it in to have it reprogramed for about $500.
Mike

Old 04-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.powerchipgroup.com./What is this? I thought it was a chip for a Rover. I checked it out and got a spec sheet for it. There is a posting under the mods section here....

Old 04-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to www.roverconnection.com
they have the rovers broke down by yr/model for the power chip. you remove your ecu andsend it in for them to install the chip. It's $490 I think

Old 04-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okdiscoguy, the link that you sent is actually what Disco Mike was describing.......ECU reprograming.

The term "chip"is missleading because, these days, there really aren't many cars that are still modified by swapping out an actual computer chip. Most newer cars require changes to the computer itself (via software downloads, etc.). For mass-produced cars and trucks (Fords, Chevy's, etc.) you can usually buy a hand-held device that allows you to do the reprograming yourself. With lower-production vehicles,or vehicles that are less popular for modding, you'll probably need to pull your computer and send itto a specialized tuner.

Looks like that particular link you found is claiming an 18hp increase (probably at the crank). Although10% isn't a bad increase for a reprogram, it's still only bringing the total power to 206.......so they're not exactly transforming themotor into a monster. Reprograms are usually most effective when used to compliment other mods that have been made to a vehicle (exhaust, intake, etc.). Some cars simply have more potential to unlock with computer modsthan others (the old Buick Grand Nationals for example). That said, on the Disco, there's probably better places to put the $400-500 you'd spend for a download (IMO).

Old 04-03-2007, 05:26 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It made mine more driveable and I get better mpg if I keep my foot out of it.

But I'm a gear head.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

http://www.powerchipgroup.com./ What is this? I thought it was a chip for a Rover. I checked it out and got a spec sheet for it. There is a posting under the mods section here....
You need to read a little more about Rover ECU's.

Your Land Rover Discovery 4.0 V8 utilizes a Surface Mount Chip (SMT) – a very sophisticated and powerful memory device which is fitted to many late model (post 1996) vehicles. Because of its complexity, the SMT style chip must be 'flash' programmed in the same way as the dealership (don't worry - we do this for you when we recieve your ECU), similarly to when servicing the vehicle. The ECU itself is very easy to remove, and should be sent overnight to be modified at Powerchip and then return overnight to you (we use FedEx Priority Overnight Service). Detailed instructions (including photos) are also provided to ensure the ECU can be removed easily from the vehicle. Once complete, and re-installed into the vehicle, you are back on the road to enjoy your enhanced performance – as soon as possible.

I have put my truck up against a independent Rover shops truck, same year and model as mine, and after two different 1/2 to 1 miles runs I out ran him both times, he was running this chip and a cold air intake.
It is not worth the money.
Mike

Old 04-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks for the tip Mike. I was kinda teetering, but I think after my high flow cats, new muffler and chopping off the resaonator, I will be happy enough. I had to send flashe E-prom chips out for my old job, and 3 out of 10 lost their memory in transit. I would not want to risk my ECU to shipment. If it got lost, I would be without a truck, and I just sold the BMW.

I used to autocross race her for fun. Just SCCA Solo2 amature club in a big parking lot, but when I had to drive home on the E-brake in 3rd gear, my girlfriend said no more. Say Goodbye fella's....

[IMG]local://upfiles/5440/554A506D6D3046C5835CA631C1579B1E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator

One thing you might consider if you haven't already done it is to go to better plugs and wires. I have lots of people running Magnacor 8mm wires and Bosch Platium Plus 4's or Bosch Fusion plugs with great low end torque results.
Also depending on your mileage, if you are near 100,000 miles consider replacing your O2 sensors.
Mike

Old 04-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Camel Trophy

I just changed the plugs and wires about 30K ago. I was new to the truck, so I just got genuine. I want to go to Magnecor wires, and I saw them on LRRforums..is that Tony? I want to change the O2 sensors too, but I am trying to finish school, and my girlfiend wants an Italian villa in the master bathroom. One thing at a time...

Thanks for your help on here, Mike! I know everyone appreciates your knowledge.

Jason

Quick Reply: 03 or 04 Chipped?