Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 D2 Center Console Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '03 D2 Center Console Removal

Hello

I need to remove the center console on my 2003 D2. The center console is the piece where the handbrake, gear selector, transfer box gear, lighter, etc. are.

Pages 76-3-5 of the Rave manual only describes the general steps for removal. Hopefully some of you have done this before.

1. Do you pull off the gear ***** or do they unscrew counterclockwise?
2. How do you remove the cupholders?
3. The panel with the letters P, R, N, D, etc. does it just pop off?
4. While the center console is out, is there anything I should be looking at or servicing?

Thanks in advance

Al

Old 03-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Search YouTube foe the lucky8 Ashcroft CDL install video. It shows everything you need to do.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bballjames
Search YouTube foe the lucky8 Ashcroft CDL install video. It shows everything you need to do.
I found the YouTube video. Thanks!!!

BTW is that the same Justin from Lucky 8 LLC?

Last edited by aguison; 03-17-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Mudding

I am having a problem removing the gear selector ****.

The Rave manual states to 1. Select position 'D', remove gear selector **** and collect spacer.

The YouTube video shows the cute female model just pulling up on the gear selector ****.

I did the same and the thing won't budge!!!

Anyone here has done this before?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to really get right over it and pull hard. I read other posts where people warned about smacking yourself in the head when it comes free, I 'm glad I did, you really have to tug to free it.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah that's Justin M. from Lucky8, clearly I think he did the work before she did the show haha.

Best way is to straddle the center console and pull up straight while the stick is in either neutral or drive, can't remember right now.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put it in D it doesn't really matter but you need to pull straight up without crashing your knuckles into the dash. Just don't hit you chin

Old 03-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Mudding

Thanks guys. Sorry to sound stupid

If I place the gear shifter in Neutral or Drive (the Rave manual says put in Drive) and then it says remove the cable and clip from the handbrake lever, then is what is preventing the vehicle from rolling?

Again thanks for your help

Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

A flat surface and wheel chocks.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Mudding

Success! I was able to remove the center console on my 2003 D2.

Let me lay out the steps and include some observations/notes:

Rave workshop manual describes these starting on page 76-3-5

1. Make sure handbrake is on.
2. Start the car and shift gear to position 'D' (Drive).
3. Turn off engine.
4. Straddle the center console between your legs and pull the gear selector **** straight up. It will need some strength but it will pop right off.
5. There is no need to remove the console cup holders.
6. Pop off selector panel - be careful, it only has plastic retainers. Make sure you pop off vertically as possible.
7. Disconnect black multi-plug - this is a little bit tricky...there is a piece of plastic that acts as a lever/lock, you need to locate this and flip it in the right direction and then you can disconnect the plug. If you don't do this, you will break the connector!
8. Remove the transfer box gear **** by screwing counterclockwise.
9. Remove transfer box gear **** gaiter/leather boot - be careful it is just retained by plastic clips, be gentle.
10. Pop out switch plate cover
11. Remove cover plate from switch pack (the window switches, seat heater, etc.) by unscrewing 4 screws
12. Before disconnecting plugs, take a picture with your smart phone so you know where each one goes then you put it back
13. Remove 2 bolts securing forward part of console to transmission tunnel
14. Remove two bolts which are at the bottom of the console storage box
15. Remove handbrake gaiter/boot from console and slip off the handbrake lever. You may need to remove o-ring which secures the gaiter
16. Remove handbrake clip and pin - this allows you to pull handbrake to a full upward position. Otherwise you will have difficulty removing center console. Having the vehicle in 'D' (drive) helps it stay put.
17. Pop out electric seat switches. No need to unplug the switch harness, otherwise they are hard to put back.
18. Slowly remove center console by raising it up slowly and then unplug the lighter sockets and then guide the electric seat switches through their holes and inside the center console.
19. Now that everything is out of the way, remove the center console.
20. Put back the gear selector ****. Start the vehicle and shift it to 'P' (Park) to get piece of mind.
21. Reattach the parking brake cable to the handbrake lever by putting back the pin and lock. This restores handbrake operation.
22. You will now be able to drive your vehicle again.

I had to remove the center console because there's an annoying rattle noise coming somewhere. I found one of the blower ducts came loose and that's where tthe sound is coming from. Also, I installed a subwoofer amplifier under the passenger seat and now I am able to guide and hide the wires through the inside of the center console for a clean installation.

If you need to run wires between the driver and passenger side of the vehicle, now is the time to do it. If you need to tap for 12V power, now is the time since the lighter wires are exposed.

Vacuum the crap while the center console is out. If you have worn gaiters, now is the time to replace them. They are $20 each from Atlantic British.

Quick Reply: '03 D2 Center Console Removal