Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 D2: Red oil light turns on right when I get home everytime

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 02:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 03 D2: Red oil light turns on right when I get home everytime

I’ve got a concern about the red oil light. I live up in the mountains and regularly drive into the city, which is a few thousand feet below. When I drive back up and pull into my driveway, the red oil light turns on. My driveway is a bit steep, but not much more steep, if at all, than other parts of the drive. I’ve got plenty of oil and it’s looking fine. The car feels good and warm and I can smell the engine’s heat a bit when I’ve parked, stepped out of the vehicle and walked in front of it.

I’m worried about this and don’t know what to do. There aren’t any engine fault codes other than P0441, which is probably a separate issue regarding EVAP - I ordered a purge valve to replace the existing one to try to eliminate that issue (I need to run a smog check soon).

Any ideas about the red oil light? As soon as I’ve seen it come on, I’ve been able to turn off the vehicle. I haven’t seen it turn on during normal driving anywhere else.

Hoping this isn’t the big one

Last edited by neuropathy; 09-06-2019 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Pardon my silly question, but... Are you checking the engine oil on level ground?

Last edited by JUKE179r; 09-06-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:14 AM
Rock Crawling

Not a silly question at all - I was concerned about the oil level, so I made sure to park in a part of the driveway that’s somewhat level. I added a good amount of oil and it appeared to be OK. I can check again tomorrow, but I’ll need to start the car and move it quickly then shut it off to check, which won’t be the most accurate check.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Ok.
When was the last time you changed the oil and filter?
Also... you can check your oil pressure switch connection here... V8 oil pressure switch location.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 09-06-2019 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

You say your driveway is no more steep than other parts of your drive home, but I expect your engine is running much more slowly when you pull in your driveway. Just a hunch, but maybe that's why the oil pressure light comes on only when you arrive home. And as for checking the oil level when the truck is level, why not check it when you're down the mountain in the "city" before you drive home, whichever city that is?

Old 09-06-2019, 07:42 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

I just had the oil light scare on my 03
if you haven’t changed out your oil pump and front housing please get those done ASAP
my 03 has 130,000 kilometres and still had original
I was lucky not to blow my engine

Old 09-07-2019, 03:48 AM
Rock Crawling

Oil level seems fine, maybe a bit overfilled if anything. I made sure to test on semi-level ground. I can check down in the city next time too. The oil looks clean. It’s still about 1,500 miles off from where I’d change it. I’m using 5W30 oil. I’ll have to figure out what the pickup tube is in order to clean it. Next time it happens I can try to turn the engine off and then on again to see if the light will still be on. I’m not sure how to test oil pressure. Still learning a lot here.

I don’t know much about the oil pump in these vehicles except about the failure that occurs in the 2003 engine... I’m assuming it’s not that.

If i work on the oil pump, will a gear repair kit likely suffice?

Thanks everyone. I’m worried about this.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:40 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by neuropathy
Oil level seems fine, maybe a bit overfilled if anything. I made sure to test on semi-level ground. I can check down in the city next time too. The oil looks clean. It’s still about 1,500 miles off from where I’d change it. I’m using 5W30 oil. I’ll have to figure out what the pickup tube is in order to clean it. Next time it happens I can try to turn the engine off and then on again to see if the light will still be on. I’m not sure how to test oil pressure. Still learning a lot here.

I don’t know much about the oil pump in these vehicles except about the failure that occurs in the 2003 engine... I’m assuming it’s not that.

If i work on the oil pump, will a gear repair kit likely suffice?

Thanks everyone. I’m worried about this.

You need a new oil pump and front cover
it’s a fairly big job
this is where I would start

look on the Atlantic British web site for the oil pump video install. Doug explains

Old 09-07-2019, 10:18 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

How long have you had this truck? 5w30 is pretty thin for one of these... why did you choose that? Do you live in Greenland permafrost?

Switch to 15w40 and see if your oil light still comes on.

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (09-07-2019)
Old 09-07-2019, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
How long have you had this truck? 5w30 is pretty thin for one of these... why did you choose that? Do you live in Greenland permafrost?

Switch to 15w40 and see if your oil light still comes on.
definitely do the above. 5w30 is too thin for these engines unless you live very far north and it is cold all the time.

Quick Reply: 03 D2: Red oil light turns on right when I get home everytime