Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found an 03 Disco2. Need help

I was wondering if I can get some advice from a few professionals. I am looking at buying an 03 disco 2 HSE with 85,000 miles and in beautiful condition. LR dealer in Baton Rouge, La just replaced the engine due to oil pump failure. I am going to pick up the rest of its service history tomorrow. I am concerned about the brakes. It has had the entire abs module replaced, but the brakes still feel really mushy. You have to go quite far to the floor when wanting to stop. Just looking for advice from some seasoned professionals. Oh and the asking price is $8 grand.

Last edited by mhaise57; 05-18-2009 at 01:52 AM. Reason: change title
Old 05-18-2009, 07:02 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Find my thread on "what to look for when buying a Discovery"

The brakes are "squishy" because the truck weighs as much as a house, she wont stop on a dollar let alone a dime.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:17 AM
Overlanding

I would have to say that the brake did not get bleed properly. if done properly the pedal feel should be hard and not too low. If it has cheap pads or rotors on installed it will affect the pedal feel. I hope this helps.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rovershop
I would have to say that the brake did not get bleed properly. if done properly the pedal feel should be hard and not too low. If it has cheap pads or rotors on installed it will affect the pedal feel. I hope this helps.
What he said.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Winching

Dealers suck at bleeding the brakes. My brakes were done for my 60K service. Yeah. I ended up re-doing them my self and they were Much much better.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Did they install a new or used engine, if used, out of what year and how many miles on it, did they put in a 4.0 or a 4.6?
As for the brakes, the ABS has nothing to do with the soft pedal. A replacement of the 4 rubber brake hoses with stainlless steel and a full 3 pint flush will greatly help out.

Last edited by Disco Mike; 05-18-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Winching

If they put in a 4.0 or a used engine.. wow. Another Score for the dealers.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Overlanding

Thought I would let yall know I went to the dealer today to take another look at the disco, Well as I am walking up I noticed it was parked around the side of the building. Not thinking much of it I walk closer and I start to notice oily handprints on the hood and the door. Apparently earlier today someone felt the wrath of the Rover oil pump. Remember I was told that it had a new engine install very recent. I got the numbers from rover on the "New" motor that dealer had installed. Suprisingly they didn't match up. As one of the dealer mechanics started to look at it (Not a landRover Dealer) I noticed something very interesting about the head bolts. A few of them had rounded edges going the opposite direction ( backing them off) so they were obviously reusing the head bolts. What it appears Rover has done was they ordered a new motor and gave the new motor paper work to the owner at the time, but infact they installed a used motor. Whats the deal people, and why is LandRover USA doing this to its loyal customers.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:36 PM
5th Gear

mhaise57, couple of questons:

1. Yesterday you said a "LR dealer in Baton Rouge...". Today, "I went to the dealer...". Also, "'NEW' motor that the dealer installed".

Then you state about what we assume to be the same dealer (the LR dealer in Baton Rouge), "...one of the dealer mechanics started to look at it (Not a landrover Dealer)".

So how is it that a LR dealer in Baton Rouge, installed a new motor on the '03, and you went to see it and the dealer mechanic started to look at it but he isn't a Land Rover dealership?

2. Have you thought about reporting this dealerships practices to Rover? What can be done about this so they are accountable for their shady ways?

Old 05-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Overlanding

I appologize for not making myself clear. The Disco is a Ray Chevrolet in Abbeville. The dealer told me it was from the Baton Rouge dealer and that they were the ones who performed the work. I contacted Paretti in Baton Rouge to ask for service history on the Rover. He then informed me that the work had been done. I assumed it was performed thier since he didn't tell me otherwise. When I went back today and was trying to find out more, since I was informed it had an engine replacment, I then find out that the work was done in shreveport. Hope this helps