Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Disco engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Disco engine rebuild

my truck is going to a very well respected and trusted mechanic on wednesday of this week to be diagnosed exactly.

a little background - it started overheating and i did a head gasket job myself. now it doesn't run right. starts and idles fine. just doesn't have any power at all. first thing i thought of was that it got hot enough to release the tension on the rings and lost all compression. it doesn't smoke or anything though. it knocks but it knocked before when it ran fine. that pretty much sums it up. lol

anyways. i will know at the end of the week what is exactly wrong with it. IF it needs an engine. should i find a used engine or rebuild mine? it falls under the bad oil pump range but i haven't had any oil pressure issues or strange sounds from it and it's got 107k.

any input would be greatly appreciated because the more $ i save the more $ i have for the parts in my sig. lol

Old 02-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

call up auto sports unlimited in Michigan... they sell re manufactured engines for the disco 4.6... cost is 4000$ and it comes with new sleeves and a 1 year warranty. your rebuild wont have new sleeves and if it does.... its gonna cost way more than 4000$

i had a mechanic rebuild my engine 3 times...... still cant get it right.... no oil pressure!!!! i've spent 6000$ already... and i had to buy a new engine last week for 2300$ with 50k miles on it....

rebuilds CAN BE VERY EXPENSIVE.... good luck and let us know what happens

Old 02-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Do you want to team up legally against LR...? My 03 is in the driveway on it's death bed due to an oil pump failure

Old 02-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys dont get it !! lol

this oil pump failure has been around since 2003 and there are hundreds of thousands of disco's that were affected..... hundreds of lawsuits have been brought on by the case and nothing came to be except a TSB!!

LRNA doesnt care about it... they never have.... if your out of warranty ..your out of luck according to my dealer... thats what they told me.

i wish you all the luck, but with you and the other guy who posted today.... i hate to see people waste time on it

Old 02-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 03discoman
lol i get it completely..... ill let you know about those parts within a week or so after i talk to my mechanic

Old 02-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Three Wheeling

Ya, I get it as well... Just unrealized.

Last edited by discoklein; 02-08-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To the OP- did you have your heads sent off to be checked? Did they check the valves?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Three Wheeling

yeah i had the heads surfaced and looked over. everything was fine

Old 02-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03discoman

this oil pump failure has been around since 2003 and there are hundreds of thousands of disco's that were affected..... hundreds of lawsuits have been brought on by the case and nothing came to be except a TSB!!

LRNA doesnt care about it... they never have.... if your out of warranty ..your out of luck according to my dealer... thats what they told me.

i wish you all the luck, but with you and the other guy who posted today.... i hate to see people waste time on it
If the Freelander folks can't get any traction, I'm not sure the Disco folks have much hope.

I've got two in the shop right now needing shortblocks and one where I received the shortblock yesterday. Two calls yesterday for two more.

It is rapidly approaching the point where casting new blocks in the backyard is looking better and better everyday:-)

Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Bombay
yeah i had the heads surfaced and looked over. everything was fine
might double check. I have seen it twice where people had bent valves after an overheat and they were missed.

PS, I noticed you are getting 16X7 steelies and putting 285's on. Aren't you worried about popping one off the rim? Why not go with an 8"rim?

Quick Reply: 03 Disco engine rebuild